Help!!!!! Cake To Feed 200

Decorating By DessertDreams Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm by kilikina_24

DessertDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDreams Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, I can handle the baking and the decorating but have no idea what size pans I need to use to make a hex shaped wedding cake. I looked at a few different size charts but I can not figure this out. It has to be atleast 3 tiers. I'm will be baking in a regular size oven. Do I need to buy the special pans or cut them using square pans. Please HEP!!!!

10 replies
kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 11

Somebody else on here will probably be more help than me but try Wilton's website. I know they have a chart and diagrams that show serving amounts and lots of different options to accomodate those servings.

DessertDreams Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks! I looked at the Wilton site and the amount they give for 4 hex (6,9,12,15) will only feed 112. I hope someone can give me another suggestion.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 11

If you're in business or think you may be using them again, you'd be better off buying the pans. If you're having trouble getting enough servings out of hexagonal pans, imagine how many you'd lose if you cut square ones down! In a case like this, I would think seriously about adding some sheet cakes to be cut in the kitchen, but the sheet cakes would be made of the same cake and fillings and would be decorated just like the original cake. It's just my opinion, but adding in generic sheet cakes seems kind of declassé. The price per serving would be exactly the same as the main cake. Good luck with this one!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 11

my wilton says that serves 148you would only need 50 more servings... or a 9x13 cake....

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 11

I don't know how to do the math for the number of servings, but could you make the cake shorter by making a larger bottom tier? Instead of using a bigger hex pan (although I couldn't find one) you could bake several 9 inch squares, assemble into an 18" square and then carve into a hex?

kilikina_24 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 11

Well, she's probably not couting the top tier, since the bride and groom usually save that one. You could go the sheet cake route or you could do the 6, 9, 12, 15 with 2 12" on the side (I think that would give you around 216 servings according to the chart I have printed out) or 2 9" on the side and serve the top tier and tell the bride and groom you'll make them a fresh cake for their anniversary (I've heard of bakers doing this).

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 11

I just did the math, you could make a larger tier from 7 6" hexagon cakes as a bottom tier then the others listed in the Wilton Chart and it would yield
84+70+40+26 = 220 servings (not counting the top tier)[/code]

DessertDreams Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 11

I was in a panic...I could not think figure this out. I didn't want to do the hidden sheet cake trick. The 2 cakes on the side would be nice. Thanks sooooo much for your help!!! I LUV this siteicon_smile.gif

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 11

Hi, I just want to say that I have found it very difficult to cut a square pan into the hexagon shape and for the layers to come out balanced. It always seems one side is longer than the other. I could never get it to look right. Of course if you have someone to help you by measuring them they might come out good. I would buy the set and then try to make a bottom layer large enough to add significantly to the number of servings. Cut it into shape using the largest hex. pan as a guide.
Good Luck.

Sandeeb

kilikina_24 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertDreams

I was in a panic...I could not think figure this out. I didn't want to do the hidden sheet cake trick. The 2 cakes on the side would be nice. Thanks sooooo much for your help!!! I LUV this siteicon_smile.gif

I guess I could have added that there is a wedding cake in my photos where I did the 2 cakes on the side (they were square cakes)--they needed enough cake for 300 and they wanted to use the stand in my pictures. I think we still ended up with a sheet cake in the back though....although they ended up with a ton of cake left over. I used a different serving chart and I think from now on I'm going by Wilton's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%