What Do You Cut Fondant With?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 6:26am by Texas_Rose

cakesrock Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 10

What does everyone use to cut fondant and gumpaste? Anyone use scissors?? I'm thinking of trying them.
I have tried big knives, small knives, serrated ones, pizza cutters, exacto knives (swivel for circles, heavy duty) and have not found the one instrument that I like! I usually get jagged edges and dragged edges (where it causes the fondant or gumpaste ripple if you know what I mean). And I have trouble with curved objects.

If you have a tool you recommend, please share!
TIA

9 replies
tiggy2 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 10

I'm starting to use the cricut machine. There are several threads on here about it if you'd like to research it.

jayne1873 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 10

If you are cutting round the edges of cakes/boards a lot of people use Pitza cutters personnally I just use a knife but to cut shapes etc I use a scalpel bought from poundshops we have over in UK for believe it or not £1 hehe. Craft knives or something really sharp would be good.

AngelaM Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 10

If you're getting dragged edges you can let the fondant sit out for a bit after you roll it out so it can harden a little. Then it'll cut much easier.

cakesrock Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:19am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne1873

If you are cutting round the edges of cakes/boards a lot of people use Pitza cutters personnally I just use a knife but to cut shapes etc I use a scalpel bought from poundshops we have over in UK for believe it or not £1 hehe. Craft knives or something really sharp would be good.

Hi,
What are "poundshops"? Thanks!

kricket Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:33am
post #6 of 10

Yes, I use scissors to trim the fondant from the bottom of the cake. Put the tier on the same size cake board, then elevate the cake on something smaller than the cake board (actually, I use the big cans of canned pumpkin). The fondant will drape straight down the sides of the cake. After smoothing, cut extra fondant off the bottom with scissors, using the underside of the cake board as a "guide". I learned this from Carrie's Cakes in Salt Lake City. I believe she also demos this method on her first DVD.

chrissypie Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:46am
post #7 of 10

I'm thinking poundshop is a dollar store in England!

AverageMom Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:55am
post #8 of 10

I use a pizza cutter for a lot of things. For small detail work I use a very sharp, fine point craft knife. If I am doing straight line cutting, I let the fondant sit for a few minutes, and then use a long knife.

madgeowens Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:06am
post #9 of 10

I love the pizza cutter

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:26am
post #10 of 10

I have a pizza wheel, pastry wheel, bench scraper, kitchen shears, nail scissors (never used for nails of course), xacto knife, rotary cutter...different cutters for different purposes.

When I put fondant on a cake, I always trim the excess with scissors. I don't use the pizza wheel as much as I did at first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%