Texas Law- Can I Renovate A Garage And Legally Bake From

Business By cplfernandez Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 10:18pm by AustinCakes

cplfernandez Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 9

there? It's funny, but the cost of renovating so that I can sell cakes instead of giving them away would be less expensive than sucking up supply costs! I appreciate your help. I have been looking through the laws/regulations and I can't decipher them!

8 replies
ThreeDGirlie Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 9

I think the best person to answer that question is your local health department... *If* you are able to do that they will also be able to give you all of the guidelines that you willl have to meet to pass their inspection.

sweetcakes Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 9

yes, only if your home owners and city approve it. and then if your HD guy approves it too, that may take a little work, but it is doable.

creatingcakes Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 9

I'm guessing it is different in every county, our HD inspector has said no way, no how. the business cannot be attached to the house in any way.

cakesdivine Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 9

To my knowledge in the entire state of TX you cannot have a doorway directly into the home it must have a totally separate entrance with no way to go directly into the home what-so-ever. So if there is a door that connects your attached garage to the house you will need to remove it, and wall that up. Then convert the garage door into an entry way of some sort. But check with your local area to check on zoning and home owners deed restrictions first. Even if HD says it's a go, other regulatory agencies can say no way (ie: fire marshall, HOA, County building codes, etc.). Good Luck!

cplfernandez Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone! I will definitely follow up to make sure that all my i's are dotted and t's crossed! I actually already have a separate door into my garage (don't know why - house was that way when I moved in). It is all really feasible, but of course once you bring the bureaucrats in - all bets are off! My husband has been so great about all of this and he came up with the garage idea for me. Of course, he is himself a kitesurfer, fisherman and hunter. Maybe this is his way of getting his own laminated "get out of jail free" card!!! icon_lol.gif

cplfernandez Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone! I will definitely follow up to make sure that all my i's are dotted and t's crossed! I actually already have a separate door into my garage (don't know why - house was that way when I moved in). It is all really feasible, but of course once you bring the bureaucrats in - all bets are off! My husband has been so great about all of this and he came up with the garage idea for me. Of course, he is himself a kitesurfer, fisherman and hunter. Maybe this is his way of getting his own laminated "get out of jail free" card!!! icon_lol.gif

DebBTX Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 9

Have you read the business articles on Earlene Moore's website?
She has itemized the things that are important. She also included pictures of her converted baking space. It appears to be about the size of a 2 car garage. It is great for ideas. They are 2 different areas with pictures.

-Debbie B.

AustinCakes Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 9

I live in Austin and recently went through all of this. Before you do anything, you have to submit drawn out plans to the HD and Industrial waste. After those are approved you have to get commerical permiting for all mechanical, electrical and plumbing work you do (this was the biggest surprise to me). Also, for Austin (Travis county), you have to have a separate restroom (even though it is just me), and the garage can not be attached. Seriously?? A bathroom (oh but the bathroom can't open up directly into the kitchen). So, needless to say I will not be following through. But every county is different, good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%