Any "southern/redneck" Cookie Ideas 4 Gift Basket?

Lounge By kathik Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 12:07pm by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:47am
post #1 of 25

I am making a Southern/Redneck gift basket and want to add some theme related cookies. Below is what is in the basket so far. I'd appreciate any help.

This is what I have so far:

Bottle of tea, small canister of sugar, instructions to "convert" regular tea into "Sweet" tea.
Bone Suckin' Sauce
Peanuts
Candy Cigarettes (to represent Tobacco)
Southern Style Hamantaschen
Small booklet "How to Speak Southern"

Thanks,
Kathi

24 replies
jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:04am
post #2 of 25

What a fun question. When I think of red neck, I think of a pick up truck, a beer keg, or anything camoflage. Maybe line the basked with camo material? What a fun project!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:08am
post #3 of 25

Red velvet cookies? I think there is a recipe by Paula Deen on Food network d com.

kathik Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:59am
post #4 of 25

I like the pickup truck idea. And my dh says a keg would be a good possibility. I don't even know what a keg looks like! icon_redface.gif I'll have to look it up.

As for Red Velvet cookies, I know they very southern, buy I despise Red Velvet anything. Sorry to all you true southerners!

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Kathi

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:11am
post #5 of 25

Tractor cookies in green and yellow for john deere

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:36am
post #6 of 25

when i hear southern i think bbq pork.... i might be wrong but thats what im thinking so what about some bbq flavoured chips or jerky of some kind

kathik Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:46am
post #7 of 25

You're right Mrs-A, but this has to be a kosher basket, so nothing with pork. I could do the chips, but I already have peanuts and the Bone Suckin Sauce (hot BBQ sauce), so unless I can design a cookie with a pork theme, that won't work. Any ideas about a pork themed cookie are welcome!

I'll have to think about the tractor. I would either do a truck or tractor so I need to decide which I like best.

Thanks,
Kathi

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:49am
post #8 of 25

How about the rebel flag or maybe over-alls, boots, "wife beater" shirt, etc. Don't forget that deer head or other road kill. This sounds like fun!

Mrs-A Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:53am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

You're right Mrs-A, but this has to be a kosher basket, so nothing with pork. .....

hahahahahah - im sorry that just made me burst out laughing as i never have to think about that! i had a jewish visitor from NY about 2yrs ago and didnt realize until an hour before she arrived i needed to think about these things

ok, i also think baseball cap and white bonds singlets (i think you call them wife beaters)

kathik Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:58am
post #10 of 25

Okay, I feel stupid. icon_redface.gif What are "white bonds singlets (i think you call them wife beaters)" and "wife beater" shirts?

I like the Rebel Flag, overalls, boots and road kill ideas. This is getting hard! I only wanted to add one or two decorated cookies, but I like a lot of these ideas! I may have to do a bunch!

You guys are great!
Kathi

Mrs-A Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:08am
post #11 of 25

white wife beater shirt... we call them bonds singlets down here... and a chance to peeve a bit at ben browder

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:53am
post #12 of 25

I lived in Louisiana for over 20 yrs. rednecks love the rebel flag, crawdads and armadillos. Hope that helps.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:57am
post #13 of 25

if you want REDNECK you have to have a BEER somewhere in there. and if you do a truck it has to look like it is on blocks. I know many a red neck. you also need a ballcap with some kind of hunting/fishing emblem. icon_smile.gif good luck cant wait to see pics.

oh you might also want to put something that has the... Here's you sign? Or "you might be a redneck if..." sayings. (if its legal to use them)

Mom0971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom0971 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:39am
post #14 of 25

So what is your southern style Hamantashen going to be?I personally am fond of strawberry or blueberry preserves in my hamantashen. Yummy. I of course am curious since I am Jewish and very southern. I live in South Texas so yeah I am southern. So is this a Mishloach Manot basket? You could do pork looking cookies made out of kosher fondant. Is there such a thing? I don't keep kosher so I have never looked for hechers (sp?) on fondant before.

Greasy red rag from cleaning up the oil from working on the truck that is being held together with parts from assorted other vehicles. Ask me how I know about this???? I have spent a few hours at junk yards before with my dh. Assorted tools like wrenches, and sockets and such. We like our backyard mechanics here in Texas. lol

I love your list of ideas so far and if you need anything specifically from Texas then give me a holler, um pm of course. lol

Shelley

kathik Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:49am
post #15 of 25

Okay, so I decided to add real beer to my basket, rather than a cookie. And I might try to make moon pies since they aren't kosher.

As for cookie ideas I want to eliminate any ideas that would require an explanation to Northerners, might be confused with a western theme, or are great ideas, but beyond my skill level. So I have eliminated:

"wife beater shirts"
road kill
overalls
boots
tractor
armadillo
crawdads

I am still thinking about:

white pickup on blocks with dirty red rag (my husband has a white pickup)
nascar logo
ball cap with hunting/fishing emblem
possum
deer head
"You might be a redneck if..."
Maybe a sliced ham cookie (although someone said they would find that gross to eat)

I definitely plan to do a Rebel flag cookie.

Tesso, what is a "here's you sign"?

Shelley, the hamantaschen recipe is an old recipe I found from a Jewish lady who moved south and adapted the recipe to incorporate some southern baking ideas. It is definitely different from most hamantaschen doughs I've seen. The dough is in the fridge for me to make today. If it's good I can pm the recipe to you.

Kathi

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 25

"Here's your sign" You might be a redneck.

For example: You buy your sweethearts wedding ring at Walmart! "Here's your sign!".

I am southern (North Carolina) and they don't wear wife beaters here. It's not southern here. A t-shirt with Lynard Skynard yes, but no wife beaters. We also don't eat "bone sucking sauce" because in here our BBQ is chopped or shredded with a clear vinegar sauce (yummy).

Old southern things...
Moonshine (moonshine stills)
RC Cola
Moon Pies (yes)
Boiled Peanuts
Nascar
tractors
Overalls
Rat Tails (thank god not so much anymore)
Mullet (hair style)
GRITS! (Can't be southern without Grits)
Biscuits
Corn Bread
Fried Chicken
Banana Pudding
Peach Cobbler
Watermelon
Beer (Cans more popular than kegs)
Banjo
Fiddle
Bluegrass
Sweet Tea
Bare feet
Corn Stalks
Cotton fields
Tobacco fields (not really so much cigarettes)

kathik Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:34pm
post #17 of 25

Well, I can't get kosher candy cigarettes so instead I'm going to use licorice to make tins of Chewing Tobacco.

This is a funny gift basket for true yankees, people who wouldn't know about the finer points of NC bbq sauce- whether eastern or western style. Since I am going for a general Southern theme I think Bone Suckin' Sauce will work just fine.

As for cookies:

Rebel flag- for sure

Watermelon- possible
Nascar- possible
ball cap w/hunting or fishing emblem- possible
fried chicken leg- possible
pickup on blocks- possible
grits container- possible
moonshine jug- possible

Any opinions on these?

Kathi

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #18 of 25

I LOVE the Blue Collar guys. My daughter and I just re-re-re-rewatched one of the episodes last night.

Here are a couple "Here's your sign jokes.

Maybe you could write some of them on scrapbooking paper with a redneck/southern theme and put them in the basket.

Bill has an elk head on his wall and his neighbor says, Did you shoot that thing? and Bill says, Nope it just ran through the wall and got stuck. Heres your sign -----

Bill just got off the plane and went to the luggage area, but his luggage wasnt there. Bill goes to the lost luggage area and tells the lady working behind the counter that they lost his luggage. The lady behind the counter said, Has your plane landed yet? Bill said, No princess, Im having an out of body experience. Im just checking on it. Heres your sign -----

OKAY, I had to do a couple more.

Rons putting his son on the plane to send him to his grandmothers house. And the lady hes buying the ticket from says, Is there going to be someone in Austin to meet him when he gets off the plane? and Ron says, No, Im going to pin a $20 to his collar and wish him the best of luck. Heres your sign -----

Bill was in the store the other day buying some pants and he placed them on the counter and the little girl behind the counter said, You going to buy those? and Bill says, Nope, Im going to steal them. I just wanted you to see them before I walk out of the store. Heres your sign -----

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:50pm
post #19 of 25

two words --> duct tape

...and for those who don't know, here's a wife beater shirt:

http://www.undershirtguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sculptees-shapewear-pex-tank-top-undershirt.jpg

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:28am
post #20 of 25

I love the blue collar guys too. and have seen all the dvd's.

Where's your sign = when someone states the ovbious or totally ignores it. I love the samples that AZ wrote.

icon_lol.gif

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:21am
post #21 of 25

Pralines or Pecan Pie. It can't be a Southern Basket without pecans in there somewhere.

here is a link to Pecan Praline Pie Cookies. They are soooo good.

http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2009/11/pecan-pie-cookie.html

kathik Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:55am
post #22 of 25

Thanks moreCakePlz. I planned to make pecan pie hamantaschen! Still working on ideas.

Kathi

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:10am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

Thanks moreCakePlz. I planned to make pecan pie hamantaschen! Still working on ideas.

Kathi

What's a hamantaschen? I guess I could google it, but I'm frantically baking all my goodies for Mardi Gras tomorrow.

eme926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eme926 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:47am
post #24 of 25

The first thing my son would want to see in cookie form would be something Nascar related, a shotgun shell, or a deer head. (After the rebel flag, of course) And then there's the Lynyrd Skynyrd logo that works for everything...lol.

kathik Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:07pm
post #25 of 25

A hamantaschen is a trsditional Purim cookie. I'm making this basket as a Purim gift. Purim celebrates the Biblical story of Esther, where God uses Queen Esther to speak for the Jewish people and save them from the evil Haman's plan to kill them all. We eat triangle shaped cookies that are filled with poppy seeds/fruit/etc. Depending on the source they are supposed to represent Haman's 3 cornered hat or his pockets (where he carried the decree) or his ears (which were supposedly oddly shaped). Here is a photo of a hamantaschen.

Kathi
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%