Cake Rising In The Middle - Do Those Strip Things Work???

Decorating By Mrs-A Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm by Mrs-A

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:38am
post #1 of 11

hi everyone

i have an electric oven and my cakes really rise in the middle and im left with a bit of a mountain once baked

done some googling and i see there are these strips that you put around the pan to help bake a level cake

do they work?

many thanks

10 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:54am
post #2 of 11

I use my bake even strips for every cake and never get a dome so yes, they work

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:01am
post #3 of 11

I haven't used them, I just use the cake paper on the bottom so they ease out. I used to have my cakes dome until I figured to preheat my oven at 340, as soon as I put in my cakes I turn it down to 320. I don't open the oven door until I smell cake icon_smile.gif
Since I started doing that I have yet to have a cake dome on me.

sweetcheekscakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcheekscakery Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #4 of 11

Yes, the bake even strips work great! I use them for all my cakes. I do still get a slight rise in the middle that has to be trimmed off, but it not nearly as bad as before I used the bake even strips. If you have a Michaels or Hobby Lobby in your area, you can get 40% off coupons from their websites. Good Luck!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #5 of 11

When the oven is too hot cakes, cupcakes, breads etc., will dome in the middle. Baking at a lower temp will eliminate this.

I don't use the strips, I bake between 300 to 325 degrees for all of my baked goods and they come out nice and even on top.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:06am
post #6 of 11

yes they have always worked for me, soak them in water for a while and then I pin them around the pans, they work great thumbs_up.gif

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:07am
post #7 of 11

Yes indeed, those cake strips do work. I wouldn't bake without them!! Don't have strips??? Wet strips of paper towel, wrap completely in aluminium foil and wrap around the pans. Works like a charm.

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:22am
post #8 of 11

I also use the strips and I bake at 325. I still have to level but not as bad as they were before I found out about the strips.

Mrs-A Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:01am
post #9 of 11

thanks everyone - we dont have michaels or hobby lobby down here but i have found them on ebay (all good things come from ebay!) and puchased some to try out

i know the cake i baked yesterday, i did have it at a lower temp and i did pre-heat the oven but i hate electric ovens as well so im blaminig the oven

looking forward to trying them out next sunday

thanks again!

lauthala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauthala Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:02am
post #10 of 11

Hi Mrs.A.You didn't say what kind of a cake you are cooking,I'm guessing a fruit cake as most of the cakes for decorating are fruit in OZ.I only have my electric oven,(hate gas ovens for cake cooking) at about 125degC,and have never had one rise in centre yet.

Mrs-A Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauthala

Hi Mrs.A.You didn't say what kind of a cake you are cooking,I'm guessing a fruit cake as most of the cakes for decorating are fruit in OZ.I only have my electric oven,(hate gas ovens for cake cooking) at about 125degC,and have never had one rise in centre yet.

nope... im an italian background so i hate hate hate fruit cakes! icon_smile.gif this was a yellow butter cake but last week was choc fudge and ive always had cakes that rise in the middle

wow, 125C is low - i did lower the temp for the yellow cake but i went down to 150c and the recipe said to do 170c

i got my cake strips in this mornings mail (online shopping was faster than getting it myself!) so looking forward to trying them out on sundays cake - going to try red velvet from scratch because ive never seen it before

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%