Tiny Fibres In White Fondant

Decorating By tsal Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 12:41am by Eatsleepbake

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 9

Try as I may to clean everything, I notice that when I roll out white fondant, I end up with a few tiny little clothing fibres that I have to remove (it is DEFINITLEY NOT hair). Am I doing something wrong? How do I avoid this? I clean the area, my tools, and I wear an apron.

Anyone else ever experience this? How do you keep your fondant completely clear?

8 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 9

I take a lint roller (one of those that you peel away the sticky paper) and roll it over my work surface, changing it each time until it comes out clear of fibers, before rolling fondant.

I wear a white cotton chefs coat and white cotton pants when working in my business kitchen.

Some people take a piece of fondant and roll it over their work surface to catch all those fibers.

Either way works great.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 9

You can't keep out those tiny fibers--unless you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to build a biological clean room with multiple air filters, clean suits with oxygen packs, and a vacuum airlock for entry & exit.......

Every home & bakery has dust in it, no matter how clean and tidy you are. It gets stirred up in the air just by your own breathing.

Fondant is also prone to developing static electricity during the rolling process, especially in low humidity.

You can minimize them by wearing light colored clothes with tight weaves and using towels that don't shed fibers (I have some microfiber tea towels that are great, as well as some woven cotten bar towels).

Sorry--it's just an uphill battle.
Rae

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

Try as I may to clean everything, I notice that when I roll out white fondant, I end up with a few tiny little clothing fibres that I have to remove (it is DEFINITLEY NOT hair). Am I doing something wrong? How do I avoid this? I clean the area, my tools, and I wear an apron.

Anyone else ever experience this? How do you keep your fondant completely clear?

Boy am I glad you asked this question. We've been thinking it's just something we've been doing wrong and it drives us crazy too.

Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:09am
post #5 of 9

I'm not sure this will work for you, if your kitchen is an enclosed room it will. I love my HEPA air purifiers.

http://www.air-purifiers-america.com/

I'd love to have one built into my home's heating/air conditioning unit, but it's very expensive. So for now I have one of these in my bedroom (I have allergies and it helps me immensely) and one in my business kitchen, which is a closed off room in my basement.

HTH

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:14am
post #6 of 9

And try to minimize air flow IF you can, like ceiling fans, furnace/ac ducts etc. in the general vicinity of your fondant.

I've always used the extra piece to pick up lint when I work with white clay...guess I should try that with fondant and gumpaste too *smacking self in head*!! icon_rolleyes.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:15am
post #7 of 9

We almost got an air purifier last summer for this reason. We weren't sure it would work so we were afraid to invest the money in it for just that purpose.

Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

We almost got an air purifier last summer for this reason. We weren't sure it would work so we were afraid to invest the money in it for just that purpose.

They work, but my house is a very open concept, especially my first floor.

The one I now have in my bedroom was meant for my family room, but because my family room is open on 3 sides it didn't do the job.

So we moved it to the BR and it definitely works better....I can go 2 weeks without dusting that room, as long as we remember to keep the door closed. icon_rolleyes.gif

So if you can close off your kitchen then you'll notice a difference with a purifier for sure.

EDIT to add....you'll want to get one with a HEPA filter....they are the best for removing 99% of dust and particles from the air. thumbs_up.gif

Eatsleepbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eatsleepbake Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:41am
post #9 of 9

wow, Id love to get one of those !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%