Help With Construction

Decorating By countrygal7782 Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm by Sagebrush

countrygal7782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygal7782 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 4

Ok guys I am needing some help with the construction of a cake. A bride asked me to do this cake for her in July, but I am having some problems figuring out the best way to construct it. I have done one like this before but it was only 3 tiers and I used the Tailored Tier set by Wilton.

This one however is 5 tiers and they do not make a set that will work with this, at least not that I know of. I am trying to figure out how to make the dividers and how to make it stable. I thought about using 2 inch foam cake dummies between each tier, but I am not sure that will work.

When I used the Tailored Tier set it had plastic plates between each divider and those plates had little teeth on the bottoms of them to hold them to the foam. If I use cake dummies I need a way to attach this all together to make it stable. I thought about using Royal icing between each divider, but not sure that will be strong enough.

I also thought about running a long dowel rod down the middle of the cake, but since I am going to have to use plastic plates rather than cardboard that will not work either. I am afraid that if I use cardboard plates the sides of the square cakes will droop.

I was wondering if anyone had made one like this and if they could give me a few more details on the best way to make it work.

Thanks
LL

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 4

tools:

drill bit size of central dowel....drill a hole dead center in each plastic plate and then set it up so the dowel rises UP from the bottom support and lower each tier over it.

I do this with all my plastic plates.

----

for foam -- craft stores will have adhesive made especially for foam. and yes the 2" foam will work. tho' not sure why would have to glue all together. after all want to be able to easily pull apart later. Gravity will hold it all in place.

------

can put square cardboard on top of plastic plate of same size. (10" square on 10" round) only corners will hang over and then usually not enough to worry.

-----

square plates can be made from foam core (double up for extra strength)

----

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 4

This one looks crooked, however it looks beautiful, and I would never try it lol ,,,,too chicken icon_smile.gif

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

This one looks crooked, however it looks beautiful, and I would never try it lol ,,,,too chicken icon_smile.gif

I thought so, too, at least for the top tier. I've been trying to decide if the way the flowers are arranged makes it look crooked, or if it's even more crooked and the flowers are helping to camouflage the problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%