Decorating A Previously Frozen Cake....

Decorating By Bradymom6 Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 5:12am by catlharper

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered before but I am going to ask again. I am making a cake for my daughter's baby shower. Is is at the end of the month and is in Austin, about a 3 1/2 hour drive. I plan on making the cakes here, since I am not sure how her oven works and then decorating them there.

I want to freeze the cakes but am not sure about decorating after they are frozen. I will leave to go to Austin on a Friday afternoon, the shower is Sunday, and I plan to decorate on Saturday. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bradymom

5 replies
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 6

Easy. Bake, wrap, and freeze. Just keep them wrapped up and let them defrost/thaw on your way. OR you could defrost/thaw and crumbcoat, and transport them crumbcoated. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

Bradymom6 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Mug-a-Bug. I have never frozen a cake before so I am going to do a test run this week and see how it works.

Bradymom6 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 6

I have one other question for all you CC-ers. I may have to do a 2 layer, 16 x 2 inch round. Can I freeze the layers individually and then layer them, with buttercream in the middle, and then put them back in the freezer until I leave for Austin? Or would it be better to wait until they thaw to layer them? Using that size round is difficult layer them without them cracking or breaking.
Thanks again.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 6

For large layers I slide a side-less baking sheet in between the torted layers and then just slide them back. (I spray the sheet with some Pam to prevent the layers from sticking)

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:12am
post #6 of 6

I freeze nearly every single cake I do. For layered cakes I let them cool, then layer them and freeze the seperately (usually with press and seal between each layer then wrapped again in press and seal). Then I freeze them, usually overnight, then take them out, fill and crumbcoat while frozen.

If carving, I fill then refreeze for a few hours and then carve and then crumbcoat. Then I wait at least two hours to allow for thawing and settling before covering with fondant (this helps with the gas bubble problem too).

If possible I would bake, layer, freeze, fill and crumbcoat and then transport them down to where you are going to decorate them.

good luck!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%