How Long Can Cake Keep?

Decorating By Clipper Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 8:23pm by Deb_

Clipper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clipper Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 9

A friend has asked me to make a cake for his son's birthday which falls on a Tuesday. My new job starts that week so I'm worried I won't have time to make it fresh. I'm planning a fondant-covered pound cake. Would this keep happily if I made it the weekend before, i.e) will it still be fresh and moist after 2 - 3 days? The fridge obviously isn't an option due to the fondant element.
Thanks!

8 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 9

You can freeze it. I always freeze mine because it does make them even more moist. You can then bring them to room temp before decorating. They will be great! icon_smile.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 9

wonder if you dont have room in freezer-just curious how far in advance can you make a cake before its serve so it still taste fresh?
TIA

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

wonder if you dont have room in freezer-just curious how far in advance can you make a cake before its serve so it still taste fresh?
TIA

I've tested my own recipes and they still taste "just baked" fresh for 3 days. They're still very good on days 4, 5, and even 6 however they don't have that fresh from the oven texture....they become more dense over time.

It's a good idea to test your recipes when you have extra time on your hands, so you'll know exactly what they're shelf life is. I do it with my cookies also.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 9

thanks-yes i was thinking maybe 3 days. i know when my cakes are frosted and decorated, they seem to stay fresh for 5-6 days.

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:34am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper

A friend has asked me to make a cake for his son's birthday which falls on a Tuesday. My new job starts that week so I'm worried I won't have time to make it fresh. I'm planning a fondant-covered pound cake. Would this keep happily if I made it the weekend before, i.e) will it still be fresh and moist after 2 - 3 days? The fridge obviously isn't an option due to the fondant element.
Thanks!

Uh-oh, I thought fondant was okay in the refrigerator. I have my second fondant cake ever in it right now. What will happen to it?

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:40am
post #7 of 9

I too wonder about an already decorated fondant cake in the fridge or freezer.....will it work in both? Or one or the other?

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 9

I dont know about in the US but in the UK we dont put fondant covered cakes in the fridge or freezer as it starts to melt (maybe different stuff to what you guys use) However according to Lindy Smith you can bake a cake, ice it and spend a week decorating it and it will still be ok to eat for another week.
I havent tried that but my cakes are usually baked 3-4 days before and always been fine.
I did make a cake on a day course with Debbie Brown. We ate a little of the cake but left loads and I didnt want to throw it away but after about 3 months gave in a binned it however I cut the end that had not been cut previously and it was still nice and soft although I wouldnt have wanted to eat it lol

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 9

Some fondant is perfectly fine in the refrigerator. It may "sweat" a bit when you take it out, just don't touch it until the condensation evaporates.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%