Storing A Fondant Cake While Decorating!

Decorating By CupcakesUnderCover Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 6:38pm by jewelzbakescakes

CupcakesUnderCover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakesUnderCover Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 9

Where should I store my cake on the fondant is laid, and after its decorated?

I worked on my cake for 2 days, and left it on the kitchen counter over night 2x, and it dried out and taking to crack. It didn't look as fresh and good anymore.

Help please!! I cannot put it in the fridge and the open air dries it out to a dull finish.

8 replies
jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 9

I decorate my cakes right before I give them to the person, they never sit in my kitchen for more than one night after being decorated.

CupcakesUnderCover Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 9

I notice after the first night it was very dry and cracking....it was heartbreaking to see. Do you see any cracks the next day?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 9

Be sure to cover the cake with either plastic wrap or aluminum foil. The air will definitely dry out the fondant if left out for 2 nights.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 9

I think it may depend on the kind of fondant. I use MMF and the outer surface will dry a bit but the inside stays soft and it doesn't crack, even after a couple of days.

CupcakesUnderCover Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 9

Deb, I am alittle worried that the plastic wrap or tin foil will leave impressions on the fondant. Do you just leave it loosely over the cake?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTAVIA

Deb, I am alittle worried that the plastic wrap or tin foil will leave impressions on the fondant. Do you just leave it loosely over the cake?

Yes, I don't wrap it tight just sort of make a tent over the cake without the wrap touching the surface of the cake.

CupcakesUnderCover Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:54am
post #8 of 9

Alrightly then..I will give that a try...wish me luck! icon_biggrin.gif

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 9

I use MMF and have never gotten cracking, but I have used the Wilton kind and no cracking either. When you roll out your fondant are you using corn starch, powdered sugar, or crisco? I always use crisco because the others can dry it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%