Does Anyone Wash Their Dowels....

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 14 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm by BecuzImAGurl

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 13

wooden dowel rods before inserting into a cake? detective.gifI'm talkin about the main dowel rod through the center of your cake. I use bubble tea straws within the tiers. Maybe it's just me, but I like to wipe them down with a clorox sanitizing wipe and let them dry. The thought of how many other peoples hands have touched them before I bought them is gross...maybe it's because I work in a hospital and am a clean freak! Just wondering if anyone else does this or has a suggestion.

12 replies
psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 13

I was wondering that too. I only get my dowels from food service retailers but I was thinking of coating the wooden dowels in white chocolate or canning wax. I'd like to know what others are doing or think about the subject.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 13

I was wondering that too. I only get my dowels from food service retailers but I was thinking of coating the wooden dowels in white chocolate or canning wax. I'd like to know what others are doing or think about the subject.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 13

I wipe them down with a rag full of hot soapy water. I don't want chlorox or anything like that leaching into the wood.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 13

Yes i wash mine.
Never know what has walked over it or as you say - who has touched it. icon_surprised.gif

I just wash mine in Dish Detergant - rinse in boiling water and allow to dry for a day - then pop into a low oven to completley dry out.

maybe it's because I work in a hospital and am a clean freak!
Was a nurse for many years - and like you - have seen the nasty side of infection and contaminants
Huge differance between reading about something and actually seeing it -
then dealing with it - icon_surprised.gificon_sad.gif

Even straws - i would never use them without washing them out first.

Some may say - we are extreme
I say - learn what bad bacteria does ............. *shudder*

Our wooden dowells have to be made here in Australia - due to quarantine laws... as many imported woods are non food safe - anothing to check when buying.

Bluehue.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 13

i wash mine with hot water and let them dry

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I wipe them down with a rag full of hot soapy water. I don't want chlorox or anything like that leaching into the wood.

Ohhh! Never thought about that getting into the wood! Thanks Bob !

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 13

On the clorox wipes tub, it says not to use them on a surface that will be used for food prep without rinsing the surface with water afterwards.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 13

Since the wooden dowels are porous I'd be concerned about bleach or soap being absorbed into them and then these chemicals being absorbed into the cake.

How about just throwing them in a pot of boiling water for a minute and let them air dry. That ought to kill all the bad stuff. icon_wink.gif

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 13

I use plastic ones, but I wash and then sterilise them in boiling water for about 10 mins before inserting them into the cake.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Since the wooden dowels are porous I'd be concerned about bleach or soap being absorbed into them and then these chemicals being absorbed into the cake.

How about just throwing them in a pot of boiling water for a minute and let them air dry. That ought to kill all the bad stuff. icon_wink.gif

I wash my wooden spoons that I cook with in hot soapy water and have not had any problem with the soap leaching into that wood, I don't see why dowel rods would be any different.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

I wash my wooden spoons that I cook with in hot soapy water and have not had any problem with the soap leaching into that wood, I don't see why dowel rods would be any different.

I see your point but you're not sticking your wooden spoons into a cake for hours, right?

It's one reason why I hate wooden counter tops (butcher block) or cutting boards....can't properly clean them.

I prefer plastic which is not porous and is very easy to sanitize in boiling water.

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 13

because wood has a tendency to allow things to cling on to it. As for boiling the wooden dowels, its a nice way to sterilize them but soaking wood in water makes wood curl or loose it shape. Although it doesnt matter since dowel are used for a short period of time. I'm saying this so some people wont think soaking their wooden tools like rolling pins & etc in water is a good way to sterilize their tools. (just an opinion)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%