All Purpose Flour Vs Cake Flour

Baking By FranklyFoxxy Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm by cocobean

FranklyFoxxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FranklyFoxxy Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 15

I have a cake to make and I have no time to run to the store. The issue is I don't have any more cake flour and I wanted to substitute all purpose flour in it's place. I read on another blog that if I remove 2 tbsp of all purpose flour for every cup that i should be alright. I was just wondering if anyone tried subbing AP flour in their recipe that called for cake flour and how did the cake come out? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

14 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 15

I haven't tried this myself, but if I recall from other threads and baking info, you will have a different crumb to the cake. I think ap flour makes a coarser crumb cake, cake flour makes it lighter. I hope I am recalling that correctly. But I would think it would still make a tasty cake, just not the same cake consistency.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 15

REmove the 2 Tbsp per cup, then don't beat the batter quite as long, It will be fine.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 15

remove the two Tbls and replace with corn starch. This is what I have done and it works great!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 15

I also like to replace the removed flour with corn starch, so that the volume of ingredients remains the same. icon_smile.gif

Handy dandy common baking substitutions chart:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

HTH

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 15

AP flour has a higher level of protein in the mix then cake flour. denetteb is right in that it will effect the crumb of the cake, but in the end it will be fine, just more dense. I don't know about taking out any flour as that is what gives structure to your cake. I would be nervous about doing so, but it seems that others have done it so go for it. Also higher amounts of protein will suck up more water so your cake might be a little more dry then normal.

My only word of advise is that whenever I try to cut corners, I end up having to go back and do it all over again anyways. You might just see if you can fit a trip to the store in somewhere for the right ingredients.

FranklyFoxxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FranklyFoxxy Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:36am
post #7 of 15

I should have gone to the store to buy the cake flour. My cake was a "HOT MESS". It tasted like a dried out pound cake. I ended up with a garbage can full of cake.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklyFoxxy

I have a cake to make and I have no time to run to the store. The issue is I don't have any more cake flour and I wanted to substitute all purpose flour in it's place. I read on another blog that if I remove 2 tbsp of all purpose flour for every cup that i should be alright. I was just wondering if anyone tried subbing AP flour in their recipe that called for cake flour and how did the cake come out? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I use a combination of ap flour and corn starch instead of cake flour. I actually prefer it to cake flour.

Cocoby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocoby Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:46am
post #9 of 15

I used in the past AP and it was good ..but the cake was too dense ...like the cake wanted to expand and couldn't. Some cakes had bad texture ...like if it was pie or something. I read here that you could use cake flour instead of AP. Because I couldn't find one without baking powder and salt included (so called self-rising) ...then I decided to try taking out 2 tablespoons for every cup of AP ..everytime I made cake. That's how you convert AP into Cake Flour.
The results were incredible. Now I always use Cake Flour. That is a great difference in my baking icon_smile.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 15

Sorry to hear it was a failure, Foxxy. Denette

whisperingmadcow Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 15

Hey!

I just got my march/april copy of the magazine "Cook's Illustrated" and they actually have a conversion ratio for AP flour to cake flour!

2 Tbsp cornstrach + 7/8 c AP flour = 1 cup of cake flour

I just thought I would share!

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 15

Great info, thanks!

What does 7/8 c mean?

whisperingmadcow Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 15

7/8 cup of AP Flour.

niragub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niragub Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:52pm
post #14 of 15

I use the (1 3/4 cup of AP flour + 1/4 cup cornstarch) following which is a bit easier since most recipe I use require more than one cup of flour. It works fine.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm
post #15 of 15

Sorrry to say I tried removing 2 T. flour and adding the 2 T. cornstarch in a recent recipe. The outcome was not good! (I usually use cake flour in this recipe). With this substitution the cake sank really bad in the middle and the texture of crumb was a lot heavier. I will never do it again! icon_cry.gif I am thinking the cornstarch did something really wrong to the final cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%