Forget Gumpaste With The Cricut...

Decorating By Jenn2179 Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm by careylynn

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 52

So I have worked with my cricut and cutting gumpaste. Sometimes I had great success. Sometimes I had to try over and over and over and got super frustrated. Well the other day I decided to make modeling chocolate so I used every color of candy melt I had and made about 10 different colors of modeling chocolate. I decided to try it with my cricut today. It was AWESOME. No problems. Cut perfect everytime. I rolled it to a 3 on my kitchenaid pasta maker and then stuck on the cutting mat with some crisco and cut away. To get it off I just popped it in the freezer for a few minutes and bent back the mat and the modeling chocolate cake right off.
LL
LL
LL

51 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 52

WOW!! Thanks for sharing - I'll give it a try thumbs_up.gif

charliejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliejo Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 52

can't wait to try, what cutter, presure did you use, and I don't have a roller, thickness, like a dime. after you rolled it how long did you wait? i love my cricut and use it all the time, just started making cakes and really want to learn to use it, thanks

Poshpartycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Poshpartycakes Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 52

Wow! thank you for sharing! I have been wanting to try this but I just don't like gum paste. I am happy to hear that it works with molding chocolate. Thank you again for sharing!

Jenn2179 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 52

I used the deep housing blade on 6, speed 4 and pressure 3. I would say a dime thickness or maybe a little less (love the pasta roller, just got it at X-mas). Didn't wait any time. Stuck it on the mat and trimmed it and then cut.

charliejo Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 52

for your help will try can't wait

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 52

I think I need to get a cricut after reading all these forums about them :/

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 52

I just got a fabulous deal on a Cricut Expressions on Ebay. Paid $170.02 and free shipping to boot! A reputable dealer with over 29,000 in sales and a 99.9 customer satisfaction rating.

DH was going to get me one for my birthday, up here (Canada) they run between $399 and $499 depending where you shop. I saved him a bunch and now he's letting me ebay for cartridges. icon_smile.gif

I can't wait to get started.

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 52

How did you make modeling chocolate? Can you share your recipe? I have lots of candy melts that I would like to get use of.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 52

Thanks for the tip....my gumpaste attempts have been like a roller coaster!

Jenn2179 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 52

The recipe I use is 12 oz candy melts and 6 oz glucose. So a 2 to 1 ratio. I melt the candy melts and then warm up the glucose for about 15 secs. Mix together. Dump in plastic wrap and wrap up and let sit overnight.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 52

I found the same thing! Modeling chocolate is the way to go and tastes great too! icon_smile.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:13pm
post #13 of 52

They have Cricuts for $99 at big lots today and tomorrow. Picked one up this morning, can't wait to try it.

charliejo Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:50am
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

The recipe I use is 12 oz candy melts and 6 oz glucose. So a 2 to 1 ratio. I melt the candy melts and then warm up the glucose for about 15 secs. Mix together. Dump in plastic wrap and wrap up and let sit overnight.

So were do you buy glucose? Going to get this, thanks

Jenn2179 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:55am
post #15 of 52

I buy my glucose from a wholesale cake place but I think Wilton sells it.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #16 of 52

Glucose is corn syrup....

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:09am
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsonblackvelvet13

Glucose is corn syrup....

just had a "smack my forehead" moment lol of course it is! Thanks for the reminder. ugh it's been a long weekend. icon_biggrin.gif

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:27am
post #18 of 52

Great! Thanks for the info. I just got my cricut today and can't wait to try this icon_wink.gif I was gonna try with gumpaste first, but now reading this, it appeals to me more! Thanks again.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:34am
post #19 of 52

I have been using the cricut on cakes for over a year and find the following works well with it.
edible image sheets
gumpaste
modeling chocolate
sugar veil
chocolate fondant

It does take some patience with some of the materials, however once you get what works down, it pays off.
We had problems at first with gumpaste. It takes the right receipe, and knowing the right technique.
LL

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:48pm
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferAtwood

I have been using the cricut on cakes for over a year and find the following works well with it.
edible image sheets
gumpaste
modeling chocolate
sugar veil
chocolate fondant

It does take some patience with some of the materials, however once you get what works down, it pays off.
We had problems at first with gumpaste. It takes the right receipe, and knowing the right technique.

Jennifer, can you share what recipes you have used? I have been stuggling to get anything to cut successfully.

Thanks, Lisa

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #21 of 52

Light corn syrup works great too, instead of glucose and is available at any grocery store.

careylynn Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:23pm
post #22 of 52

Ok, I am seriously getting so frustrated! I tried this over and over again and the same thing is happening to the modeling chocolate that happened to my gumpaste. It cuts clean on the bottom that's touching the mat but the top of it has drag marks and a jagged edge to it. I am using the deep blade and housing on 6, med pressure, slow speed and I've tried greasing the top of the chocolate/gumpaste and blade and not greasing it and EVERY time it comes out the same way. I've tried various thickness as well. And I've tried both letting it dry and not dry.SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

careylynn Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:24pm
post #23 of 52

Ok, I am seriously getting so frustrated! I tried this over and over again and the same thing is happening to the modeling chocolate that happened to my gumpaste. It cuts clean on the bottom that's touching the mat but the top of it has drag marks and a jagged edge to it. I am using the deep blade and housing on 6, med pressure, slow speed and I've tried greasing the top of the chocolate/gumpaste and blade and not greasing it and EVERY time it comes out the same way. I've tried various thickness as well. And I've tried both letting it dry and not dry.SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenn2179 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:28pm
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by careylynn

I think your modeling chocolate is not thin enough.

Eisskween Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:31pm
post #25 of 52
Quote:

Haven't tried mine out yet, but possibly you're not rolling it thin enough? Just a thought. Also, I heard some people have cut off the rubber rings inside and it doesn't effect the feed, but doesn't leave impressions either.

xmstazx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xmstazx Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #26 of 52

what cricut are you using to do this with? I might hit big lots today to see if they have the machine around my area.

JillysCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillysCakery Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:06pm
post #27 of 52

Are you guys sure that the cricut is food safe?

careylynn Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:32pm
post #28 of 52

I tried rolling it very thin, thinner than a dime. At first I did dime thickness like someone said above, and when I got the same results, I tried thinner. I pushed my roller things all the way to the sides so they are completely out of the way. I am using the cricut create, although I don't think that matters as much. I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it out for the life of me. I have even read the other post about cricuts and did everything that they suggested. UGHHHH!!

Eisskween Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:50pm
post #29 of 52
Quote:

I tried rolling it very thin, thinner than a dime. At first I did dime thickness like someone said above, and when I got the same results, I tried thinner. I pushed my roller things all the way to the sides so they are completely out of the way. I am using the cricut create, although I don't think that matters as much. I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it out for the life of me. I have even read the other post about cricuts and did everything that they suggested. UGHHHH!!

One last thought, maybe let it dry just a bit to make it stronger when you cut?

Edited to correct spelling.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:02pm
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillysCakery

Are you guys sure that the cricut is food safe?

I would think so, I highly doubt they would alow it in cakeshows and stuff if it woulnt. I wouln't ask the company (cricuit manufacturer) they would definately tell you that it is not and lure you into buying the CAKE CRICUIT icon_biggrin.gif

But hey who knows we might be poisoning millions without knowing icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%