Edible Castle Towers-Best/easiest Way!

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 10:41pm by bethyscake

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 5

What's the simplest/best way to do castle towers? I have seen RKT covered in fondant and pastillage/gumpaste.

-If you do the RKT, do you mold in a paper towel tube or something similar?
- How do you achieve those little notches under the turret -carved into RKT or gumpaste or otherwise??

This castle cake was a bigger project than I initally thought!
Appreciate the advice. TIA!

4 replies
gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 5

I know I'm not a professional, but I used cake cones (Rainbow store brand variety) end to end and then a sugar cone dipped in white chocolate and painted w/ luster dust for mine.

Very easy! Stayed up very well!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1567932

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 5

I did the same thing, but I covered mine in white candy melts:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1310416

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 5

I usually make my RKT flat, like on a cookie sheet. Then I can roll it up like a cigar. Make sure to keep it tight, you can compress it as you roll. This way it can be as short or tall as you need it. As for covering it you can use alot of different things, I prefer modeling chocolate or fondant that's also the way to make the notched areas.

bethyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyscake Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 5

I was researching this the other day as well, and saw the ice cream cones used but wanted something different. I came across pastillage, its like fondant or gumpaste but it dries faster and harder. It can be used to make the overall shape of the towers and tops and then covered in fondant so you can add texture to it.

is the link on how to make it and they also have videos of them making the towers. I hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%