Frustrated On Fillings

Baking By adventuregal Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 7:04pm by bobbysgirl

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:49am
post #1 of 6

So I got done with all the vday cake madness and wanted to relax and make a cake for the hubby. I decided to try a filling recipe that I've never done-it had sugar, butter, vanilla bean seeds, half guava nectar/half mango nectar, and egg yolks. It was supposed to be kind of a exotic fruit filling-or atleast thats what I was going for-but it turned out so badly! The texture was great, but the flavor was just so bland. I had my family try it and they likened it to a custard-totally against the fun fruity flavor I was going for. Anyone have any suggestions for a fun fruity filling that is a bit different than the usual raspberry, strawberry, etc mousse/gel? Thanks in advance!

5 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry, I don't have a recipe suggestion, but the one you described sounds so yummy. What a disappointment. Good luck in your search. Denette

sfrench1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfrench1 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 6

You may want to put the vanilla bean seeds in the nectars and infuse for a while. Also may try to increase nectar fluids, adding vanilla seeds, and reducing in a sauce pan to intensify flavor. You can always tase nectars as some have more flavor than others.

bobbysgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobbysgirl Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 6

I'm from England and we don't have 'nectar' here, what is it and can I substitute it for something else. I am bored with vanilla buttercream, any exciting ideas?

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 8:36am
post #5 of 6

Bobbysgirl, I think nectars are like pureed fruit but thinned a bi. LOL. They can be drunk like juice, are used often times for smoothies and drinks in Aisa with the tapioca pearls in the cup. The containers that they come in here in the US are usully like soda cans or like the boxes that stocks come in. Like a thick juice but with real fruit.

bobbysgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobbysgirl Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 6

Sunset74, thanks for that. I need to have a good look round to find a similar product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%