Mixed Shape Dummies???

Decorating By stacylambert Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 6:40am by stacylambert

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:43am
post #1 of 3

I need a little help from someone who is experienced with mixed shape cakes. I need to order some dummies and have no idea what sizes to buy. The finished cake will be like this:

round
petal
round
hexagon

I'd like the top tier to end up being 8", but I'm not sure how the sizing on the other shapes compare. As an added factor, the other round one is going to be covered in flowers so it needs to be a little smaller than if it was just going to have a layer of fondant.

Anyone that could help me out with this? I've never used any but round and square before, so I'm a little clueless here. icon_confused.gif

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 3

My very best advice to you would be this..... best thing is to build what you want to do with pan so you can see the spacing. If you don't have the pans to do it, make some templates out of paper, SOMETHING so you can stack them and see the spacing. I usually use pans, it works great.

Hope this helps you out a little even....

Jen icon_smile.gif

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:40am
post #3 of 3

Thanks Jen! I never thought to make paper templates. I don't have the petal or hexagon pans so I was going in completely blind. Now I just have to figure out how exactly they're measured. I'm guessing the largest diameter of the petal and edge to edge of the hexagon. I'd just order a few spares if shipping didn't cost so much. icon_cry.gif

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%