Wasc Failure!

Baking By Odyssey Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 4:53am by kricket

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:26am
post #1 of 28

I tried both the WASC recipes that I found (Kakeladi's and denise2434) and both sunk in the oven. I'm making a Valentine's day cake for my kids at work and I just hate having an issue. I've only ever made straight box mix before so I was very excited to try WASC from all the good reviews and I'm heartbroken that they aren't working out. I followed the recipes exactly and my oven is fairly new so there isn't a temp issue.

I just can't figure out what went wrong! I know the kids will still love it, but I look at every cake as a marketing opportunity and their parents are going to see the cake too. I'm afraid that they'll fall in love with the texture and taste and then I wouldn't be able to work with the cake in the future.

Are there any tips for WASC that I might have missed?

27 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 28

The WASC is a LOT more dense then just a plain mix. The one time I tried it I baked at 325 degrees and it seemed to take a very LONG time.

I don't particularly care for this cake because it is SO heavy, dense and "wet" to me, but I'm used to my scratch cakes which are a lot lighter.

Even though your oven is new I would check the temp with an oven thermometer......you never know it may not be calibrated correctly.

How does it taste to you?

Odyssey Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 28

Well it tasted delicious. I have no complaints there. I tried cooking it through on 325, and like someone suggested at 300 for half the time and then 325 for the second half. The second one looked great for the first half but sunk near the end.

My mom suggested beating it longer, would that help possibly?

Tammy21122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammy21122 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 28

I have used this recipe several times and have never had any issues with it falling.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 28

I have NEVER had success with the WASC recipes icon_mad.gif , and I really wish that I could figure out why.

One thing I know is that they will not work as well with DH mixes.

I'm going to watch this topic and maybe try again... icon_rolleyes.gif .

Good luck!

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

All I use is DH mixes and I've never had a problem.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

REALLY, wow, with the WASC recipe???

That was one of the suggestions that I got most often the last time I looking for help in finding the the cause of MY failure (collapsing) with the recipe. I swear by the DH brand for my doctored mix recipes. May I'll try again; it's just hard to waste $ on ingredients again...

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 28

I have yet to have a WASC came out tasting good...they just seem "ehh" to me....not sure what I am doing wrong as they get such rave reviews!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 28

I only use DH mixes too! The only time I've ever had a WASC fall is when I underbake it. I bake at 325 also, and a 6 inch cake can take over 45 minutes. A 12 inch takes at least 90 minutes. It not only has to pass the toothpick test, but spring back when lightly touched in the middle. Usually when I start smelling the cake really strongly, then I know it's time to test it.
Be careful not to open the oven before that point.

I hope that helps.....

Jodie

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 28

Having only made it once I'm not really an expert on it, but I do know that with my scratch baking if my baking powder is old it does not perform as well.

One way to check is to add a tsp of bak powder to 1/3 cup hot water, if it bubble vigorously it's still good if not throw it out. Recommended shelf life of baking powder is 3 months after it's opened.

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Ditto for me too...I've used DH mixes and they all work, never a problem.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #12 of 28

I always use DH mixes with the WASC recipe. I add 1 box of instant pudding mix for each box of DH mix in the recipe.

I have to say that I've tried all types of flavors, sizes of cakes, etc. and I've never had a problem with it. I get a dense, moist cake that holds up well to all types of decorating.

Hope it works out for you.
Rae

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #13 of 28

Okay, I must say this is a little worrysome. I am mostly a scratch baker, but because of my work schedule this week, I thought I'd make WASC because I'll need it in a pinch. Hope it works for me! (And I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out so well for the OP!)

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:38am
post #14 of 28

Only use DH here too and have never had a problem. I use the WASC that Sugarshack uses.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:02am
post #15 of 28

Check the expiration date on the box mix, maybe it is old. Over beating is not a good idea, it could make it worse. When I make WASC, I also use DH with never a problem.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:02am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey

I tried both the WASC recipes that I found (Kakeladi's and denise2434) and both sunk in the oven. I'm making a Valentine's day cake for my kids at work and I just hate having an issue. I've only ever made straight box mix before so I was very excited to try WASC from all the good reviews and I'm heartbroken that they aren't working out. I followed the recipes exactly and my oven is farely new so there isn't a temp issue.

I just can't figure out what went wrong! I know the kids will still love it, but I look at every cake as a marketing opportunity and their parents are going to see the cake too. I'm afraid that they'll fall in love with the texture and taste and then I wouldn't be able to work with the cake in the future.

Are there any tips for WASC that I might have missed?

a couple questions that might help answer it..

1. what size pan did you use?

2. what temp did you use?

3. how long did you bake it?

(you dont use the cook time on the box they take much longer) and you cant open the oven 1/2 way through baking they will sink

I always make wasc for all my cakes and have no issues.

I do 325degrees, for a 9" round @atleast 45 min or until tooth pic is clean or springs back when touched

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:22am
post #17 of 28

I use denise's WASC recipe with DH mix and it turns out beautifully every time.....

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #18 of 28

My wasc are always wonderful! I use 15 oz of eggs instead of 12 oz the recipe calls for and I love it!

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #19 of 28

I just made a Red Velvet scratch cake yesterday and it was so dry. I will go back to WASC. I have never had one fall but I don't even open the oven until they have been in at least 40 mins, no matter what size pan. I prefer Betty Crocker but have used DH successfully too.

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:38am
post #20 of 28

Wow, I have NEVER had a problem with the WASC. I use the recipe here by denise2434 as well, with DH mixes. They are light, fluffy and full of deliciousness! By far my most favorite and top requested cake as well. Another poster said that they are heavy - I find they are one of the lightest cakes I make. They spring right back, and I find they are easy to level and carve. Hopefully it was just a fluke! I follow the recipe pretty exactly - haven't made any changes to temperature - although, I have had to add maybe 5-10 minutes to baking time, but that's pretty typical for most recipes I try. Try it again - I promise once you have one that turns out, you'll use it again and again! Good luck!

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:43am
post #21 of 28

I have used both DH and BC but I prefer DH with most flavors. I bake my Kakeladi WASC @ 325 for 20 min and increase temp to 350 for 15-23min more, perfection every time.

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:53am
post #22 of 28

I made cupcakes using the wasp recipe. I got rave reviews. I have never made the wasp in cake form...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:36am
post #23 of 28

I always use DH cake mix for my WASC cakes (all flavors) and have used both kakeladi's original and Rebecca Sutterby's recipes (but always use RS's baking directions) - they always turn out moist (but not gooey/gummy) and have more body than a straight scratch box mix but are considerably less dense than a true pound cake. IMHO, they have the perfect density - not too light, not too heavy.

I've never really had many cake baking problems, but when I did it was when I used the 3" deep pans. Now I found it infinitely easier and faster to just bake two 2" layers than one 3" layer.

As you can see, Rebecca Sutterby's recipe has a perfect score:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey

I tried both the WASC recipes that I found (Kakeladi's and denise2434) and both sunk in the oven.

Handy cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

What speed are you using for mixing the batter? And are you using an electric hand or stand mixer?

HTH

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:14pm
post #24 of 28

Today I am going to buy a 14" round pan to bake a wasc in tomorrow. If I put the magi-strips around the pan and a heating core in the middle, how long is this going to take to bake? I do not have a convection oven. I know all ovens are different, but I would love an estimate. A 10" round with no strips and 3 flower nails takes me about an hour. I have never baked a cake this big in my life, and I am a little nervous.

Also, I think I am going to drive a little further down the road to the shop that sells magic line pans, instead of just getting a wilton. I think to get a cake this big to work I am going to need all the help I can get. Do you think the thicker pan will help any?

Odyssey Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:21pm
post #25 of 28

I was using an old wilton heart pan. I had the oven preheated to 325 the first time and it sunk about half way through baking though I never opened the oven. For the second cake I used kakeladi's recipe. I baked that one at 300 for 20 minutes and then bumped up the temp to 325 for another 20. I never opened the oven, but at the half way point I did turn on the light and it looked like it was rising just fine, but it had sunk by the time the second timer rang.

I used a strawberry flavored Pillsbury mix that I mixed with an old reliable stand mixer on low to moisten and then medium to mix.
When I did straight box the same way it was perfect, no problems at all. I have never had a cake sink like these did.
I'm willing to give it another go, but I hate wasting cake.

Odyssey Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #26 of 28

Same thing happened for a third cake! I want so badly for it to work. I tried with room temp eggs and sour cream this time, 325 for 45 minutes. It didn't sink as bad, but it still sunk in the middle.

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:38am
post #27 of 28

I am no expert, but I use to have the sinking program. I got frustrated and gave up on WASC for a while, but then came back for white cakes. I switched from egg whites to whole eggs and I upped my oven temp a little to 335. I switched from DH to BC mixes too. I use the WASC version with 2 2/3 c water and 4 Tbsp oil - which ever one that is. Oh, and I leave it the oven longer than I use to and I stick multiple flower nails in the suckers. Not sure which change made the most difference, but they don't sink anymore.

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:53am
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by aej6

I have yet to have a WASC came out tasting good...they just seem "ehh" to me....not sure what I am doing wrong as they get such rave reviews!

Ditto here. Every once in a while I'll dust off my WASC recipe to "give it another shot", but am "underwhelmed" each time. The top also gets really "gummy", too. Oh, well. Good thing there are so many recipes out there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%