Fur/feathers For Sesame Street Characters ...

Decorating By xanikesmom Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 4:52pm by Rosie2

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 20

I'm making a Sesame Street cake for my almost 2 year old whose birthday is in a few weeks. I am going to attempt to mold Elmo, Big Bird, and Cookie Monster out of fondant/gumpaste. I don't want their bodies to just be smooth - I would like to get the fur effect for Elmo/Cookie and the feather effect for Big Bird. Any suggestions?

19 replies
nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:40am
post #2 of 20

they just did that on cake boss, maybe u can find that episode on TLC website, but i think they were just nicking the fondant for elmos fur

cmehappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmehappy Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 20

I suppose if you had some small very sharp scissors yiu could make cuts in it to make it look like fur. you would need to make a lot of cuts to accomplish it though.

rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:24am
post #4 of 20

I would do the cutting technique. Aine uses it with her christmas tree - here is a video showing it.

" rel="nofollow">

Otherwise with buttercream a grass tip works.

I am making a cookie monster in a month and planning him with buttercreamicon_smile.gif

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #5 of 20

I agree that stiff buttercream would be the easiest for cookie monster/elmo/oscar, etc. fur- large open star tip and pull out the icing. If you want to do feathers for big bird, I would pull out the leaf cutters and find one that could look like a feather OR one with a reasonably similar shape then roll it to elongate and layer, layer, layer! Have fun and let us know how it turns out! icon_smile.gif

tarascupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarascupcakes Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #6 of 20

I think it was either Cake Boss or some other cake show, maybe a Cake Challenge show somewhere where they took a wire brush, and hit the surfaces of the characters with that all over and it gave it that effect.

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS

I agree that stiff buttercream would be the easiest for cookie monster/elmo/oscar, etc. fur- large open star tip and pull out the icing. If you want to do feathers for big bird, I would pull out the leaf cutters and find one that could look like a feather OR one with a reasonably similar shape then roll it to elongate and layer, layer, layer! Have fun and let us know how it turns out! icon_smile.gif

they just did that on a challenge on the food network. Oscar, elmo and Cookie Monster were all frosting and big bird was amazing! He was a whole bunch of fondant or gumpaste feathers (you could totally do it with leaves, looks the same).

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:03am
post #8 of 20

yea i saw that one to and big bird was really good. i found cake boss episodes on u-tube, and on here someone put a site with his recipe for bc and other things.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 20

Are you talking about Cakeboss.com or the other Cake Boss? It's really confusing when two cake-related businesses have the same name!

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:40am
post #10 of 20

Thanks for the advice!! I think I'm going to try the cutting method for Elmo and Cookie and layering the feathers for Big Bird. Wish me luck! I will post pictures.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:29am
post #11 of 20

This is a really good video showing how to make fur out of fondant.

How to make a sculpted dog cake (YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOyibd6tDvo&feature=related

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:49am
post #12 of 20

On Cake Boss they used modeling chocolate and scissors/tools to make the feather/fur look.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:58am
post #13 of 20

I recently did an elmo (check my blog: morselsbymark.blogspot.com) covered in modelling chocolate. I used my dresden tool to make the fur markings.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:09am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

This is a really good video showing how to make fur out of fondant.

How to make a sculpted dog cake (YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOyibd6tDvo&feature=related

OMG !!! this video is amazing

fondantqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantqueen Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:50am
post #15 of 20

if u really want to make easy fur put coconut in a plastic bag with food colouring and shake it and simply put it on icing it has an awesome effect and is supper easy i use it all the time.

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:58pm
post #16 of 20

I'm making a RKT Elmo tomorrow, covering with stiff buttercream,
I still like to ready other's techniques, that coconut tip is something I might try in the future.

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:15pm
post #17 of 20

I saw it on challenge on food network, she actually had it molded in silicone for the effect and then cut the feathers to make it look more real. i actually want to challenge that one!!

expressions1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
expressions1 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 6:05pm
post #18 of 20

I used the same method from The Cake Boss tv show. He used tweezers to make the fur. I made a monkey and it turned out great. You take the tweezers and gently squeeze the fondant all over the cake.

happy2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy2bake Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:38am
post #19 of 20

Ixtli, Please post pics of the Elmo. I want to do one soon for practice so I can do the real one for my grandson's birthday in August.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:52pm
post #20 of 20

Great info, thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%