Rich's Bettercreme Disaster!

Baking By cakedivamommy Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 3:17am by all4cake

cakedivamommy Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:39am
post #1 of 9

Every time I try to flavor Rich's Bettercreme it gets soooo runny. I am using the prewhipped kind. I filled a cake this past weekend with it, put a thick BC dam and over time the filling started to seap out the sides. Thank goodness it was just for family. Please help! I am about to throw the whole darn bucket of stuff away!

8 replies
Peridot Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 9

I only use the liquid that I have to whip myself and it never ever gets runny or seeps out the sides. Try whipping your own - great stuff and I use it a lot. I buy both the white and the chocolate. You can freeze the liquid until you are ready to use it.

cookie_fun Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:44am
post #3 of 9

How much liquid are you adding when you flavor it? Are you folding in any flavoring, or mixing/whipping it? I'm just wondering if it's breaking down some when you are adding your flavoring, you know?
Think whipping cream when it gets overwhipped.

Do you re-chill after adding your flavoring prior to putting it into the cake? Again, just thinking like with real whipped cream.

I use the pre-whipped also, so I've not had this problem, but it seems to me that it must have something to do in the adding/mixing.

Sorry I can't be more help!

all4cake Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:49am
post #4 of 9

When you added the flavor to the bettercreme, did you stir it in or beat it in? Depending on the thickness of the flavor addition (thin like a liqueur or thick like pudding), I have to actually put it into the mixer bowl and whip it for a short time (like less than a minute)...with pudding, I can just stir it in though.

all4cake Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:52am
post #5 of 9

cookie_fun, I did NOT see that before I posted. I type so slow.

Colliegirl Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #6 of 9

Now I just called my supplier of this product and asked what I was doing wrong with colouring this as it goes runny all the time and I can't whip it back into shape. He said he has never come across someone who has been unable to whip it up once you put colouring in it. BTW I put the gel paste in it. So this post is a timely one for me.

Any suggestions to this would be appreciated. I use the one that is frozen and you defrost it and whip it to use.

all4cake Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:19am
post #7 of 9

colliegirl, do you defrost it in the refrigerator or on the counter?

I've encountered the liquidy issues when it was kept, after whipped, too long and when it was thawed/defrosted on the counter or tried to use it when it was too cold.

Colliegirl Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:01am
post #8 of 9

Aah there you go, it was too cold. I had it in the fridge thawing and brought it out to whip it straight away. Hmmm, that may have been my problem. Shall look into that. Thanks.

all4cake Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:17am
post #9 of 9

It does need to be cold...just I've whipped it before it had completely thawed and although it whipped initially, it didn't remain whipped like it should've...and actually...the consistency when I'd whipped it in it's not-completely-thawed state was somewhat slimey(for lack of a better description)

Quote by @%username% on %date%