Please Help With Celebrity Birthday Cake

Decorating By cakesbyleila Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm by bobwonderbuns

cakesbyleila Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 30

Ok I just got confirmation that I will be making a 400 person cake for a celebrity's birthday in two weeks. Ahhh. The theme is diamond Glamorous and her colors are ivory and gold with accents in royal blue. I obviously need a rather tall stacked cake to feed this many people. Everything I come up with look too weddingish. Any Ideas? Please?

29 replies
whisperingmadcow Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:20am
post #2 of 30

What about different cakes at different heights?

auntmamie Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:31am
post #3 of 30

I would make at least two tiers royal blue, airbrushed with silver or pearl shimmer. Then the remaining tiers in ivory with gold shimmer. Strands of diamonds dripping all over. Some flowers, but not covered in flowers (too weddingish). Try different shapes from round and square - maybe diamond tiers?

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:04am
post #4 of 30

I would avoid flowers all together. Cause of the color scheme and the diamond glamour, think art decor. You can get it to look very glamourous without wedding like.

Mensch Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:21am
post #5 of 30

I thought Art Deco also (great minds think alike...)

step0nmi Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:34am
post #6 of 30

I am thinking we need the age here to help icon_wink.gif

when I think of glamorous I think of things like diamonds and purses...very girly but classy. how about a large coach purse on top of a couple large tiers? you could do do a couple large cakes that looks like presents...I would definitely not do flowers though. I think of confetti too for birthdays. hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:49am
post #7 of 30

LOL! Your right. Age would help to know. I assumed an older person and it could very well be a younger person.

And of course great minds think a like. icon_wink.gif

aliciam Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:25am
post #8 of 30

I like all the ideas, I was thinking if you know how to do any sugar art you could perhaps make some diamonds out of sugar and put them in some kind of fancy looking jewelry box.

I would love to see the finished product whenever you are done, it seems like a fun cake. icon_smile.gif

cakesbyleila Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 30

She is turning 25. The thing is, her wedding is the same day! The birthday party is the after party with all sorts of athletes and Movie Star types. I am completely overwhelmed! I appreciate all of your opinions as I know you are all awesome at what you do. Keep the ideas flowing!

cownsj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #10 of 30

I'm thinking maybe a stack of gift boxes, the top box could be a jewelry box with a pair of edible jewel earrings in it and a matching necklace draped down the side of the cake.

whisperingmadcow Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:37am
post #11 of 30

I really like the jewelry box idea! You could really 'bling' it up!

EvMarie Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:54am
post #12 of 30

What about Moroccan? I like the different shape cakes idea. But, what about trim in the gold or scrolls of some sort? Maybe varying shades blue jewels or beads? Can you make sugar jewels? Funk it up & it'll be more of a fun vibe.

You could achieve an interesting shape with sculpted cake or just different cake shapes. Then bling it out with the bead/jewel idea. Maybe swagged trim and then at the "points" of of the swag, insert a cluster of jewels to hang out and down off of the cake? Don't forget your platform. If you come up with a repeated jewel "cluster" of sorts, you could hang them from a footed platform.

Or, how about mosaic tile? Indian type pattern? I love geometric patterns. Post a pic for sure! I'd love to see what you come up with!!

EvMarie Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:09am
post #14 of 30

http://prettylulu.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/moroccan-wedding1.jpg

Here's another in pink....but you get the design idea. I know I'm getting carried away. Sorry ------ icon_smile.gif So beautiful.

EvMarie Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:12am
post #15 of 30

http://djonesphoto.typepad.com/.a/6a00e393399c158834010534b2f00e970b-600wi

Okay, I'm done after this one...honest engine! Check out the beads!!!

cownsj Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:16pm
post #16 of 30

If you don't make your own edible jewels, these were great. http://www.fancyflours.com/Detailed%20Embellishments/Cake%20Jewels/Pre-Made%20Cake%20Jewels
The sizes are great, and we had more than enough for this cake and probably a couple more with 80 in the package we got. We bought the Edible Pink Topaz Cake Jewels for $18. They have a set of them in cobalt, with about 18 in the package, they're in different shapes. Plus they have saphire blue in the 80 pack, and of coure diamonds. I loved them.

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:46pm
post #17 of 30

I don't know if this cake has been posted or not, but it's the first one I thought of when you mentioned your design -- the jewels are real diamonds, but I thought the style would be easily adaptable to your request: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1565709

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 30

Here's another cake I really like that you could maybe adapt (if you haven't chosen a style yet) -- ShirleyW has a thread on how it was made.
LL

Butterpatty Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:16pm
post #19 of 30

Wow! I love that blue cake. It is so gorgeous and elegant.

cownsj Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:18pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterpatty

Wow! I love that blue cake. It is so gorgeous and elegant.




I agree

sadsmile Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:28pm
post #21 of 30

Great ideas in here for fabulous cake... if you can look past the weddingness of this pic any of the designs mixed up a bit would really look super as a display of 5 or 7 cakes like this...
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1352170

mrsmudrash Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:17am
post #22 of 30

I second the a stack of gift boxes. You can do each one differently, some with lids up creating a topsy turvy effect, some with damask print, some with animal print...whatever, go crazy! It's a party and she'll be getting gifts! icon_smile.gif

Here's an inspiration from pink cake box:
http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/gift-box-wedding-cake-2007-05-26.htm

paulineclark Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 8:49pm
post #23 of 30

hi what about asking her what she is wearing and do a copy of the dress start with dummies on the bottom to add height to it .

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:44pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyleila

Ok I just got confirmation that I will be making a 400 person cake for a celebrity's birthday in two weeks. Ahhh. The theme is diamond Glamorous and her colors are ivory and gold with accents in royal blue. I obviously need a rather tall stacked cake to feed this many people. Everything I come up with look too weddingish. Any Ideas? Please?




What did you decide?

cakesbyleila Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #25 of 30

first of all thank you all so much for your help and inspirations. I decided to go with stacked gifts. The cake is over and done with but I need to share my story.
The bride/birthday girl has ordered my cakes so many times in the past year that she wanted to let me have complete design freedom. She filled out the cake contract with me and decided on flavors and colors. She filled out the dates and when and where to be delivered. The contract and every other order form and email I had with her stated the delivery for the cake was the 20th of Feb. A saturday night delivery between 6-7 p.m.
Thursday before the event the baker baked all the layers I requested and put them in the walk in for me. On Friday, I worked fourteen hours with other orders and started on her cake around 2 in the afternoon. I iced all the cakes and piped the designs on them. My plan was to get up early saturday morning and paint the yellow designs with gold luster dust, add all the diamonds and put the supports in the cake. I left the bakery at 7:30 that night, went home and took a big dose of nyquil for the cold that was killing me.
At 10 pm that night (friday) I got a call from the birthday girls PR person wondering where the hell the cake was. Oh crap. I threw on my chefs coat hanging from my door knob for the next morning and some pants and shoes. No Bra no Socks. Way to look professional! The bakery is a good 45 minutes from my house so I was dialing everyone in my phone book trying to get help to get this cake ready and delivered. The bakery chef (a cook with absolutely no cake experience) was the only one to answer my call for help.
We arrived at the bakery at almost the same time and hurredly put supports in the cake and threw everything in my car. I didn't have time to box the cakes so I was driving like an old lady hoping my cakes wouldn't slide in the back. The cake was delivered and stacked with borders just as the guests started arriving for the after party. Now 11:30 at night!
There was no time to paint anything gold and the jewelry box and diamond necklace I sculpted were left at the bakery. OOPS!
I seriously felt like I was on a cake challenge and the clock was ticking down to zero. Hands up!
I am proud of what I accomplished in only 45 minutes. I have learned my lesson and now Call every bride the monday before the event and say "ok, so your cake is to be delivered at 7:00 on SATURDAY, right?"
What I don't understand is why they didn't call earlier if they wanted the cake there at 7. Did they not notice the empty table for 3 hours?
LL
LL
LL

Normita Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Here's another cake I really like that you could maybe adapt (if you haven't chosen a style yet) -- ShirleyW has a thread on how it was made.




That is a beautiful cake Bob...do you happen to have the link to the thread on how ShirleyW made the cake??

cownsj Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:43pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyleila

first of all thank you all so much for your help and inspirations. I decided to go with stacked gifts. The cake is over and done with but I need to share my story.
The bride/birthday girl has ordered my cakes so many times in the past year that she wanted to let me have complete design freedom. She filled out the cake contract with me and decided on flavors and colors. She filled out the dates and when and where to be delivered. The contract and every other order form and email I had with her stated the delivery for the cake was the 20th of Feb. A saturday night delivery between 6-7 p.m.
Thursday before the event the baker baked all the layers I requested and put them in the walk in for me. On Friday, I worked fourteen hours with other orders and started on her cake around 2 in the afternoon. I iced all the cakes and piped the designs on them. My plan was to get up early saturday morning and paint the yellow designs with gold luster dust, add all the diamonds and put the supports in the cake. I left the bakery at 7:30 that night, went home and took a big dose of nyquil for the cold that was killing me.
At 10 pm that night (friday) I got a call from the birthday girls PR person wondering where the hell the cake was. Oh crap. I threw on my chefs coat hanging from my door knob for the next morning and some pants and shoes. No Bra no Socks. Way to look professional! The bakery is a good 45 minutes from my house so I was dialing everyone in my phone book trying to get help to get this cake ready and delivered. The bakery chef (a cook with absolutely no cake experience) was the only one to answer my call for help.
We arrived at the bakery at almost the same time and hurredly put supports in the cake and threw everything in my car. I didn't have time to box the cakes so I was driving like an old lady hoping my cakes wouldn't slide in the back. The cake was delivered and stacked with borders just as the guests started arriving for the after party. Now 11:30 at night!
There was no time to paint anything gold and the jewelry box and diamond necklace I sculpted were left at the bakery. OOPS!
I seriously felt like I was on a cake challenge and the clock was ticking down to zero. Hands up!
I am proud of what I accomplished in only 45 minutes. I have learned my lesson and now Call every bride the monday before the event and say "ok, so your cake is to be delivered at 7:00 on SATURDAY, right?"
What I don't understand is why they didn't call earlier if they wanted the cake there at 7. Did they not notice the empty table for 3 hours?




OMG, I cannot imagine your panic. But the cake is beautiful. Most important, how did your bride/birthday girl like her cake?

JGMB Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm
post #28 of 30

You did a wonderful job, even under those conditions!!!

Okay, 2 questions:

1) How were you able to function after having taken Nyquil?

2) I don't suppose you can tell us who the celebrity client is since she's a repeat customer, right?

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Here's another cake I really like that you could maybe adapt (if you haven't chosen a style yet) -- ShirleyW has a thread on how it was made.



That is a beautiful cake Bob...do you happen to have the link to the thread on how ShirleyW made the cake??




I used to but I couldn't find it. You might write JanH and ask her -- she's the queen of the search! icon_lol.gif Oh, and Shirley didn't make the cake, she wrote the gal who did and got her instructions on it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm
post #30 of 30

AHA!!! I found the link to that blue cake and how she did it!! (see, perseverance DOES pay off!!) icon_lol.gif


http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45216&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%