Straw Grass

Sugar Work By deetmar Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm by TexasSugar

deetmar Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 8

I saw on one of the cake shows, they made straw/grass looking stuff that they put in a crate, like if you were opening a crate of winde, or package crate.

I thought it was made with isomalt but not sure, does anybody know how to do this?

Thanks

7 replies
HaydenSC Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 8

I made some yesterday for a wine bottle cake, using some hints in the Confetti Cake book (the one with the purse on front). I took a 50/50 ivory-ish/brown-ish colored gumpaste and fondant mixture and ran it through the pasta machine on a 5. I took a ribbon cutter with the 1/4 inch spacers and cut some pieces. I cut them into 3-4 inch lengths and "wrinkled and rumpled them". I laid them around the bottle and came back over it with some golden brown luster dust. HTH!

deetmar Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 8

I thought it had something to do with boiling the Isomalt, but not sure, anybody else?

brincess_b Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 8

maybe its something along the lines of spun sugar you are looking for?
xx

deetmar Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:14am
post #5 of 8

It might have been. I usually tape all the cake shows, but my hubby has been deleting them on me. I will try to go back and see if I can find it.

Thanks,

SusiesBakeShoppe Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:50am
post #6 of 8

I saw an episode of Challenge, it was the one that they did the Dr.Seuss Cakes...
One of the decorators on the Challenge made a poof to put on the top of Horton's nose...he dipped a board with nails into the sugar/isomalt and slung it back and forth over a wooden dowel...it looked like cotton candy but thicker strings....maybe you can find the episode on Food Network or Youtube....good luck!

KHalstead Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 8

just wanted to add that Dollar General has "edible easter grass" and they have yellow and it loooks exactly like hay/straw. I got 5 bags in case I need it for a cake one day (they're $1 each).

Otherwise, what about using those "potato sticks" chip things.....those look like hay and they're edible lol

TexasSugar Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 8

Michaels also has the edible easter grass.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%