Straw Grass

Sugar Work By deetmar Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm by TexasSugar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 8

I saw on one of the cake shows, they made straw/grass looking stuff that they put in a crate, like if you were opening a crate of winde, or package crate.

I thought it was made with isomalt but not sure, does anybody know how to do this?

Thanks

7 replies
HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 8

I made some yesterday for a wine bottle cake, using some hints in the Confetti Cake book (the one with the purse on front). I took a 50/50 ivory-ish/brown-ish colored gumpaste and fondant mixture and ran it through the pasta machine on a 5. I took a ribbon cutter with the 1/4 inch spacers and cut some pieces. I cut them into 3-4 inch lengths and "wrinkled and rumpled them". I laid them around the bottle and came back over it with some golden brown luster dust. HTH!

deetmar Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 8

I thought it had something to do with boiling the Isomalt, but not sure, anybody else?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 8

maybe its something along the lines of spun sugar you are looking for?
xx

deetmar Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:14am
post #5 of 8

It might have been. I usually tape all the cake shows, but my hubby has been deleting them on me. I will try to go back and see if I can find it.

Thanks,

SusiesBakeShoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusiesBakeShoppe Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:50am
post #6 of 8

I saw an episode of Challenge, it was the one that they did the Dr.Seuss Cakes...
One of the decorators on the Challenge made a poof to put on the top of Horton's nose...he dipped a board with nails into the sugar/isomalt and slung it back and forth over a wooden dowel...it looked like cotton candy but thicker strings....maybe you can find the episode on Food Network or Youtube....good luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 8

just wanted to add that Dollar General has "edible easter grass" and they have yellow and it loooks exactly like hay/straw. I got 5 bags in case I need it for a cake one day (they're $1 each).

Otherwise, what about using those "potato sticks" chip things.....those look like hay and they're edible lol

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 8

Michaels also has the edible easter grass.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%