Coloring Lemon Buttercream

Baking By chillebrandt Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 9:32am by Ballymena

chillebrandt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillebrandt Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a lemon pound cake (shaped like a wine bottle) with lemon buttercream frosting. I need my frosting to be a "red wine" color. I am having problems getting the color right. Is it possible that the color is reacting with the acidity of the lemon? Any suggestions??? Thank you, Cheryl icon_confused.gif

3 replies
Marniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marniela Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 4

I had the same problem with lemon BC when I tried to colour it purple... kept changing to blue. I tried using lemon extract rather than real lemon juice and it didn't help--over time it went blue as well. I finally gave up and changed the colour... so I'd be interested to know if you find a solution. I was ready to scream it was so frustrating!!

chillebrandt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillebrandt Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 4

I had a science project going on in my kitchen this morning. Apparently the lemon in lemon buttercream reacts to colors but I finally got a "close to burgandy" and hopefully it will work for what I need. I'll get approval from my client tomorrow on the color. In my attempt to make burgandy, I discovered mixing different colors with lemon buttercream you gives you the following: Black makes teal; burgandy makes brown; pink makes light rose; "barney" purple makes purple; brown makes gray; copper makes apricot; blue stays blue, yellow stays yellow, orange stays orange; maroon makes burgandy; and red makes salmon.

Also, I tried air-brushing to see if that would react to the lemon and it did not. The air-brushed colors stay true to color. Lesson learned ... when coloring lemon buttercream, make sure you test your colors in advance.

Cheryl

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:32am
post #4 of 4

Lemon is a bleach, that's why you are having problems. I have used lemon juice to bleach the red from raw beets off my hands after peeling them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%