Help! Can I Freeze Mousseline Butter Cream With Preserves?

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm by crazyladybaker

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 3

I need some help!! I am making a 3 tier 12-10-8 cake for a valentines banquet tomorrow.

We have snow and there is a chance this whole thing will get canceled due to weather.

My plans are this...(the cake is WASC and I wanted to use mousseline buttercream with strawberry preserves)
fill and frost today and refrigerate today and take out tomorrow a few hours before the meal.
Will this filling be ok in the fridge?

If it gets canceled can I freeze it after it has been filled and frosted?

ps...I havent picked my crusting buttercream yet so please my all means tell me your favorite. I want something that will have a very smooth finish.

thanks for any input.

2 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 3

Yes... it will be fine in the fridge and if allowed to come to complete room temp after freezing it will be fine after that too. I mistakenly made an entire 3 tiered cake round instead of square and I filled and frosted before realizing it. So rather than trash it (like I wanted to for pure anger release... lol) I froze the tiers (unstacked) and later took them out and thawed them. My husband took one in to work with him and the other I used to make a free cake for someone. They were both perfectly fine. I use SMBC, so it behaves like mousseline BC.

I can't give any advice on the crusting BC so I will leave that to the experts in that area. icon_smile.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the reply! Ok, I will go ahead and and get the fruit ready and make a stiff buttercream for the dam.

I am SO nervous because I have never done anything this big before.... icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%