Pricing On Special Cakes With Links To The Pictures! Help?!!

Decorating By JxLooney Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 7:06am by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

JxLooney Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 17

Ok, someone just placed an order for two cakes:
1. A Crown Royal Reserve Bottle that feeds 10 people

2. A Pirtate's Bay Passion Fruit Rum Bottle that feeds 10 people

I charged her $40.00 per cake, making her total $80.00, but I feel as if I underchargered once more... Keep in mind that it feeds 10 people! Did I? Any advice on how to charge? Oh, and the bottles are attached the this post.
LL
LL

16 replies
brincess_b Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 17

well. the matter of undercharging depends on how big you are going to make the cakes. if they feed 10 people, then thats $4 a serving, not bad. but, if, as i imagine they will be, they are slightly bigger and feed more people, your price per serving drops aka your wage and profit.

with carved cakes its even more difficult to hit the servings the customer wants - but if they want the cake,t hey pay for the servings they get.

a 6 inch square or circle serves 12 party portions. i think i did my wine bottle cake with a 7 inch square, without much lost cake. at least with square bottles, its a bit easier! so that is $3.30 a serving. could be worse, but next time id aim a bit higher - it will either take time to make the label details, or cost to have the edible image made.
xx

minicuppie Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 17

Charge for the amt of cake you start with. You had to pay for the ingredients and it took the same amt of 'lectic or gas to bake it. If you feel guilty, give them the carved away cake in a ziplock bag.

Jenn2179 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 17

I have a $125 minimum for carved cakes. I don't care how many you need to feed. It takes much longer to do a carved cake to feed 10 than a wedding cake for 100 people. So I would have charged at least $250 for both cakes.

bashini Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 17

Hi, I don't know much about prices in the US. But I feel like you have undercharged. You need to carve those cakes and they take time. And you have to bake a rectangular or square cake first before carving. So you need to charge for the full square/rectangular cake. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 17

Are these standing bottles or will they be lying flat? That would make a difference to me.

Yes... regardless of them lying or standing I think you under-charged. You will be baking more than 10 servings for each.

zdebssweetsj Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 17

I agree you have undercharged.

Deb_ Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 17

With carved cakes it's important to remember that

A)you usually have to bake a larger cake then needed because you'll be carving away servings and

B) the client is charged for the amount of cake you make not the amount of servings they need. (Other then a 6" round I don't know if any other shape serves just 10.....I suppose a 5" sq would also)

Your price is a bargain, I'd be sure to let her know that you underpriced these cakes this time in error.

olgaCake Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 17

I have Jack Daniel and Crown Royal cakes in my gallery. But those bottles are sugar, not cake, and I charged $150 for each, and I think I undercharge it. Consider the amount of work it requires I'll charge at least $200 next time. But those cakes require handmade molds.

niccicola Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 17

For $80, a client would get a small cake with a chocolate transfer image of the liquor bottles from me icon_biggrin.gif

me_mysister Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 17

Wow..I'm undercharging for all my cakes as well!!! icon_eek.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:00am
post #12 of 17

I can't even imagine trying to do those cakes small enough to just feed 10 people! What a headache. I would probably charge $400x2 and they would be bigger. If I had to make them that small, they would end up costing $700x2. I don't like small.

Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 17

Bella, that's exactly why I have a serving size/price minimum for each cake order.

I won't turn my oven or creative juices on for less then $100.

adven68 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:23pm
post #14 of 17

way undercharge......the amount of work is the same whether it's for 10 or 50, as someone already mentioned....

for a bottle that looked like a real bottle....at least $350-400

of course the price may go up or down depending where you are located, but not by more than $50 or so....

Mensch Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 17

I hope you live near me so I can order cheap cakes from you and then sell them to my customers for my regular prices.

LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:32am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Bella, that's exactly why I have a serving size/price minimum for each cake order.

I won't turn my oven or creative juices on for less then $100.

Oh yeah!. On Friday I got the call:

ME: "So what's how many servings do you need and do you have a budget?"
Client: "Well it's only for 6 people"
ME: "My minimum is $100, $200 for sculpted/3D cakes".
Client: "But I only need it for 6 people".
ME: "I understand. We can make it bigger, but my price minimum starts at $100. Doesn't matter if it's for 6 or more".

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:06am
post #17 of 17

I'm not carving a darn thing for less than $100...... not even a cupcake! Now I will slap a small 2 tier together with dots and stripes and a big bow on it for less than that......but carving......nope! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%