Turning Regular Buttercream To Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By shrobinson Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm by _Jamie_

shrobinson Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:33am
post #1 of 14

I have a large batch of buttercream made up and was wondering if it would be possible to just add some melted chocolate to the buttercream to make it chocolate? I just really really don't want to make another batch of buttercream.

13 replies
mamawrobin Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:39am
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrobinson

I have a large batch of buttercream made up and was wondering if it would be possible to just add some melted chocolate to the buttercream to make it chocolate? I just really really don't want to make another batch of buttercream.

Yes you can. Just melt the chocolate and cool a bit before adding.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:42am
post #3 of 14

Yup, do it all the time, or cocoa powder icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 14

Speaking from the heartache of experience, I add softened/melted ganache that I store in the fridge. Especially in the winter, when I add plain melted chocolate to anything, it sets up and becomes solid little chunks in my BC or batter. Ganache has the cream in it, which mixes in more easily for me. icon_smile.gif

chelseak Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 14

I am about to do just that in a few minutes. I make regular BC then add melted unsweetened chocolate (cool 15 mins) then add milk for consistency. HTH!

icer101 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:24am
post #6 of 14

i also do as chelseak does.. melt unsweeten chocolate.. let cool.. i don,t use high heat when i melt it either.. never seizes up.. make beautiful choc. b/c.. and so tasty.. hth

mandyloo Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:38am
post #7 of 14

If I have ganache around I add that, if I don't, I add cocoa powder to thicken it up and then chocolate milk or chocolate syrup to thin it back out. Sounds weird but tastes great.

whisperingmadcow Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:54am
post #8 of 14

Keep in mind that chocolate will suck out the moisture out of your icing, especially cocoa powder. You will need to add water/milk to thin it back out.

shrobinson Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:31am
post #9 of 14

Ok so the first batch was not so hot. I made sure that I cooled it down to room temperature but didn't take into account my buttercream NOT being at room temperature. They were both out so I assumed they would be the same temp but for some reason the buttercream was a tad cooler. So the chocolate harden. UGH. Going to break out the hershey's powder and see what I can do with that.

Can I get a mini ME to help? icon_smile.gif~

whisperingmadcow Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:54am
post #10 of 14

Sift your icing. That will get the chunks out. Then add powder and milk

chelseak Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 5:14am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingmadcow

Sift your icing. That will get the chunks out. Then add powder and milk

Yes, I forgot that part, I always sift my icing sugar now. I forgot to the last time I made MMF and it was not good.... icon_cry.gif And I also bought a different brand that seems to have huge lumps in it... I just finished my Chocolate BC a few mins ago and it is very tasty! Sorry yours isn't working out so well. icon_sad.gif

whisperingmadcow Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 14

No, I ment she should run the icing through a sifter so she can work the lumps of unmelted chocolate out. Then add the cocoa podwer if the taste is too weak.

sweetiesbykim Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 7:50pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrobinson

Ok so the first batch was not so hot. I made sure that I cooled it down to room temperature but didn't take into account my buttercream NOT being at room temperature. They were both out so I assumed they would be the same temp but for some reason the buttercream was a tad cooler. So the chocolate harden. UGH. Going to break out the hershey's powder and see what I can do with that.

Can I get a mini ME to help? icon_smile.gif~

BUMMER!! I've been through that, and as I'm rushed trying to get the order out icon_sad.gif That's why I only add the ganache to BC now -no cocoa to sift and get all over the kitchen, and no lumps in my BC!

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 14

If you like meringue icing...melted and cooled dark chocolate folded into is about as close to heaven as you'll get.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%