Cookie Disaster Using Wilton Cookie Icing.....grrrrr!

Baking By LorenEbert Updated 14 Feb 2010 , 6:02am by globalgatherings

LorenEbert Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:02am
post #1 of 5

Has anyone had any problems using the Wilton Cookie Icing? I used it to make some red "lovebugs", high heel shoes and lips cookies yesterday. I let them dry overnight and in the morning they had a weird black color under the icing. Maybe moisture was trapped under the icing? Strange because I live in the Northeast and it's freeeeezing here with no humidity. I had to redo 3 dozen cookies!! I'll never use Wilton Cookie Icing again!! GRrrrrrrr!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:39am
post #2 of 5

Yeah..I have heard that their cookie icing is not that good.Try Antonia74 Royal icing..It is the best!!It's in the recipe section under RI

LorenEbert Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:06am
post #3 of 5

Yes I usually use Antonia's Royal recipe. It's great! I just always have trouble making a deep red color. I color it pink first and then use a ton of Americolor Super Red gel and then let it sit over night, but it always looks like a pinkish-red to me - that's why I tried the Wilton Cookie Icing - it's the exact deep red shade I want. Oh well - I guess pink is better than having weird black spots! Thanks! icon_surprised.gif)

GeminiRJ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:14am
post #4 of 5

Wow! Having to redo 3 dozen cookies had to have sucked! My sympathies to you.

globalgatherings Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:02am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenEbert

Yes I usually use Antonia's Royal recipe. It's great! I just always have trouble making a deep red color. I color it pink first and then use a ton of Americolor Super Red gel and then let it sit over night, but it always looks like a pinkish-red to me - that's why I tried the Wilton Cookie Icing - it's the exact deep red shade I want. Oh well - I guess pink is better than having weird black spots! Thanks! icon_surprised.gif)

Hi Loren, I use the super red americolor with RI and love the color. I never have to tint it first and use it right away after coloring it. You can see it my recent valentine photos. Maybe it colors different with Antonia's Royal??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%