Mmf Question

Decorating By pinkorchid Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 1:24pm by kello

pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:54am
post #1 of 8

Hi icon_smile.gif
I'm new to this forum and relatively new to cake decorating. It started as a fun hobby for my own parties/functions and I've decided to take it a step further.

I am loving working with MMF but have had some trouble with coloring. Mainly dark colors like red and black. I've had a few orders that needed some black and I ended up needing to use soooo much coloring that it changed the texture and seemed difficult to work with.

Are there any tips out there? I've tried searching the site but haven't found an answer.

Have been lurking for a while and am so glad I found this place icon_smile.gif
So much info!!!!
Thanks.
Amy

7 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 8

Hi, welcome aboard. the people on here are great and very supportive. If no one answers your questions, hunt down JanH she is woman with all the answers!! or can find them for you!!

As for your question : Americolor coloring. you just cant beat 'em.

http://www.americolor.org/

just a link to help you get started. icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #3 of 8

If you can buy black fondant that would probably be easier but if you can't and you also need dark blues etc try mixing your colour into your melted marshmallows first until you get the colour you need and then knead the icing sugar into that, this way i personally found it affects the texture less and is easier to work with icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:18am
post #4 of 8

Hi and welcome!

When I need black or red or any other really dark color I add my coloring to the melted marshmallows before adding them to the PS. I use a LOT of gel color to get black.

Of course this will color your entire batch of mmf but I find it's better doing it this way because like you said, if you add the gel color to the mmf after it's made it changes the texture.

MMF lasts a really long time so I mix up an entire batch of black and just wrap what I don't need really well and chances are I'll need it in a week or two.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:43am
post #5 of 8

Hi Pink,

Welcome to CC, I am new to cake decorating and this site too, and I have to tell you..everyone here is so helpful and they really share from their heart....

Anna

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:45am
post #6 of 8

ahh i forgot to say welcome too icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much everyone!!
I will try that forsure.....great idea about making a full batch and storing. I've been taking the small amount out of the already made mmf and destroying it with color...LOL.

I really appreciate it, and can tell already I'm going to love this place icon_cool.gif

PS - I'll check out americolor...I've never seen/heard of it.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 8

Another option is Chocolate MMF...yummy. Just replace 1/2C or 3/4Cup of cocoa from your icing sugar. It tastes like a tootsie roll. Add your black food coloring to your melted MM. You just don't have to use as much color. And I agree...Americolor is so much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%