Can I Paint Disco Dust On Gumpaste?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 11:03pm by sadsmile

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 13

I already attached this piece to my cake, but in doing so I noticed my fingers took the disco dust off. I cant really brush it on dry. It seems like its making too much of a mess. Its black dust on a white cake! Oh joy.

Is it possible to mix disco dust with water or vanilla and paint it on so I wont have particles flying all over? Im afraid to try it and waste my dust or mess up my cake so I was hoping you guys would know if this will work.

12 replies
sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 13

Is it a piece you can remove? I've used disco dust on a dried gumpaste piece, then applied it with gum glue (gumpaste mixed with water) after everything is dry. I used silver dust, but painted it silver underneath, first.
I would either remove and redo, or carefully hold a small piece of computer paper under the area (to catch the dust) and retouch. If you're using black dust, you can touch up with black gel color to camoflage the background, maybe?

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 13

I would try applying a little clear alcohol to the area with a paint brush then take a dry paint brush dipped in the dust to apply it to the area. You could lightly drape the area with a paper towel to catch anything that might come off the brush.
Hope this helps.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 13

I've successfully painted the sides of a cake w/ egg whites and then added the disco dust if you don't have a fear of raw egg whites

Otherwise, use an airbrush and just spray some vanilla on the cake and put the disco dust on, it'll be enough to stick it.

The egg whites really seal them in though.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:52am
post #5 of 13

Ill try brushing on some vanilla and then putting the powder on. Maybe Ill just put a napkin under the area to catch the dust...thanks guys!

sweetiesbykim Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 13

I'll have to try the egg whites. icon_smile.gif

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 13

Wait...what is disco dust?

sweetiesbykim Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by THECAKEPLACE

Wait...what is disco dust?

It's bigger pieces than luster dust, and looks like craft glitter. They sell it on several cake/candy websites, but haven't found it at any craft store yet. It looks perfect put on "ruby red slippers" for Dorothy of Wizard of Oz.

Sold on globalsugarart.com, countrykitchensa.com, etc. Also, look on Sweetopia's blog -she decorates amazing sugar cookies and loves to use it!

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:40am
post #9 of 13

I have been using disco dust or pixie dust for years. I love it. But then I am a bling girl, but I like it done with elegants. I use piping gel mix it down lightly with a little water. That way its not to thick and not to watery. It works great. Keeps the disco dust from mostly going over the place. You still will get that some still anyway. It likes to go everywhere., but this helps alot. This method has worked for me the best. I hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:01pm
post #10 of 13

I put the disco dust on a sheet of paper (just a thin line of it) and then use my airbrush with nothing in it (just air) to blow it off the paper and onto the sides of the cakes where it sticks!

just an FYI in case some of you are trying to figure out how to get it on the sides of the cake without physically brushing it on (since it will clump)

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 13

I want to use disco dust fo teh first tiem on a pience that I will apply later...

do I apply disco dust like you would glitter on a project (cover piece with vodka or piping gel and then shake the disco dust on and remove the excess by shaking it off)? or would I paint it on like I would with luster dust (mix the dust with the vodka then paint that on)?

thanks so much for any help or suggestions!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I put the disco dust on a sheet of paper (just a thin line of it) and then use my airbrush with nothing in it (just air) to blow it off the paper and onto the sides of the cakes where it sticks!

just an FYI in case some of you are trying to figure out how to get it on the sides of the cake without physically brushing it on (since it will clump)

That's a GREAT idea!! Thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 13

Blow dryer on cool-shot! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%