Calling All Gone With The Wind Lovers...help!!!

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 11:02pm by Jemoiselle

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 43

Ok, I just got a call for a cake in a couple weeks with a Gone with the wind theme.

I have NEVER seen the movie (GASP...I know lol).......so I have no idea what is prominent in the movie and what is not.

they only need 20-25 servings...so I suggested a 6" and 8" rounds stacked....so there's not much room for much anyhow!

My initial thought was cover in fondant and handpaint the plantation house (if I can!) and some trees around the sides of the bottom tier and then either paint or cut out black fondant and make sillhouettes of the 2 people in the movie in different poses (gotta skirt around copyrighting here too I'm sure).....and then maybe a gumpaste magnolia as a topper?? I have no idea if magnolias are even in the movie I just think of them when I think of anything souther LOL

Please......all of you that love the movie, can you give me some ideas for things to do for this cake???

thanks in advance!!!

42 replies
kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 43

I think your idea is great! You could try googling the movie and see what images come up. I'm sure you'll be able to get some other ideas from that. Magnolias will be a great addition! "After all, tomorrow is another day!" Goofy, I know, but I wanted to be the first to say it! icon_wink.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 43

"frankly my dear, I dont give a damn."... okay..that was a quote from the movie !! dont take it personally !!! icon_lol.gif

I love that movie. It would look so cool. if you did a fondant swag on the cake that was the same color of green dress that scarlet used in the movie.. (she cut the curtains to make a dress. it was all a matter of pride) well known scene. Maybe make a few gumpaste or fondant cannons. to stagger around on the second tier. (for PC sake, i would skip the southern flag) but you could make a confederate cap for the top of the cake).
I would also suggest putting the "confederate rose" on the cake. It is a flower that is white or pink, that turn deep red at night. They only grow in the south (or used to).

also.. you could put flames around the base of the cake in reference to the burning of taira/ atlanta..ect...

hopefully that will get you started. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 43

The burning of the plantation was a huge part of the movie. Maybe the plantation on one side, and it burning on the other side.

Mike

KHalstead Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 43

very cool..............keep the ideas coming!

I had thought about the swags too, but didn't know whether to do them in green or the deep burgundy.

It's hard to tell from still photos which parts of the movie are more memorable if you've never seen it.

love the cannon idea too........I was hoping to have some idea of stuff to put around the edges

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 43

Here is a link with lots of images: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031381/mediaindex

There are some pretty neat ones there! Make sure to post the final product!

Kathy

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 43

I would definitely include "frankly my dear..." but not the rest if the sentence. The green dress was also important - maybe put a similar looking band around the bottom of the tiers (like a ribbon - sorry if I'm not explaining this clearly).

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 43

My FAVORITE movie!! The green swag is an excellent idea!

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 43

The green dress is extremely significant. It completely embodies the whole premise of the movie.
And although it's been a few years since I've seen it last, I'm pretty sure the quote is "Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn." It's often misquoted just like "play it again, Sam".

mim1106 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 43

No, jam7, it's my dear, not Scarlett. *I could recite that movie by heart* LOL

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:17pm
post #11 of 43

Atlanta & 12 Oaks burned but Tara was spared because Ms. Ellen was dying and there was the sickness there.
I love the idea for green swag too with the curtain dress. I also love the "Frankly my dear" quote as well. There are a lot of great ideas. My mother saw this movie when she was 7 in 1939 when it came out. She said that when Rhett said "Frankly my dear. . ." her mother put her hands over her ears and the movie theater patrons all gasped. You might want to rent the movie to see it but it is a bit long (close to four hours or so). I used to work with a woman who named her girls Scarlett, Melanie & India after characters in the movie. What a great idea for a cake!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 43

Everytime I think of the 'green swag', I think of the Carol Burnett skit where she came down the stairs in the green drapes...curtain rod and all!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:49pm
post #13 of 43

One of my favorite movies of all time!!! I would do a layered and gathered "petticoat" on the base tier, with the green drape opened up at the base tier showing the petticoat ruffles (in an upside-down V, if that makes sense). Then she had the twisted rope/tassel around her waist. Mammy got the red taffeta petticoat from Rhett, but that would look like Christmas.

White pillars would work to portray "Tara". Or, the long stairway that she tumbles down at the city house.

The confederate cap on top, or one of her fashionable hats would work. Or the lonely tree on top, from the poster picture.

It depends how much detail and parts of the movie you want to portray (it is 4 hours with an intermission!). A small piece of embroidery or cross-stitch would work for when the ladies were waiting for their men at the "meeting". Something from Bonnie Blue, the wood mill, the picnic, etc.

Sorry, I just love every detail of this movie!!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:00pm
post #14 of 43

Ohhh.. so many Gone With The Wind fans on here that we should have a cake contest with that theme.

Wouldnt that be cool !!! I can just imagine the cake masterpieces you guys could produce !!!

KHalstead Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #15 of 43

yeah, wish they'd arrange a contest like that before March 17th so I could have a few cakes to look at LOL

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:49pm
post #16 of 43

I'm with you All4Cake. I can't think of Gone with the Wind without thinking of Carol Bernett. I laughed so hard I just about peed my pants when she came down the stairs with the curtain rod on her shoulders.

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:14am
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mim1106

huh. I wonder why I thought that. I guess it's been too long. Time for movie night! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 6:00am
post #18 of 43

If you ever get the chance to see "The Making of Gone With the Wind", you will be amazed at the special effects they did LONG before the fake-looking, irritating and so unreal looking computer effects they use today. A "must see!" for any GWTW fan!!!

I think that's part of why I don't go to movies anymore. There's just no artistic talent to them anymore. They all look like animated video games.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 9:24am
post #19 of 43

I like the bbq dress. I did a sketch for you in paint. I however could not draw a large straw hat. She had that on with a large bow that matched the other dark green on the dress. If you do make this, before you put the green on put a slight sheen to the white and light green. Then put the dark green on.
If you make the green dress. It is velvet. So I would try making some dark green royal icing in two or three colors, let it dry, crunch it up and put that on the icing to resemble the velvet.
If none on those work. How about on the outside you do a bunch of the different dresses she had throughout the movie, and/or pictures of Rhett and Scarlett kissing?
You should really see that movie. It is an all time favorite. It is different than the movies today. Not only old time filming, but the plot. My daughter and I can go to the movie and within 2 minutes we can tell you front to back what is going to happen. My poor son has to hear my predictions. He never believes me until the end. Poor thing already has the man syndrome.
LL

mim1106 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:09pm
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim1106

huh. I wonder why I thought that. I guess it's been too long. Time for movie night! thumbs_up.gif

See, an excuse to see it again!! Think I may watch it tonight..

KHalstead Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:23pm
post #21 of 43

very cool julz

I take it that's literally the dress that she wore..........I love it!!

I'm going to run all these ideas past the guy ordering it (I told him that I would see what WE could come up with since I hadn't seen the movie, and then get back to him)

So far the ideas I'm going to run past him are

1. Magnolia or confederate rose on top with green draping on front of top tier w/ sillhouette of 2 main characters kissing in center of draping (draping will be kinda like theater curtains)
draping on bottom tier as well w/ painted "Taira house" in the center of draping (draping will be the dark olive green like the dress) and then random fondant cannons being placed around base and ledge of bottom tier (maybe 3 cannons total)

2. draping like in idea# 1 only w/ cross stitched panel for the top tier (instead of sillhouettes) and "frankly my dear...." painted around the rest of the tier (sides)
Bottom tier w/ draping and "Taira house" in center of drapes, and then on backside "Taira house on fire" painted inside draping (will just repeat draping on opposite side of bottom tier.

3. exactlly like julz did in paint. Literally making the hat on top (probably rice krispie treats and fondatn w/ gumpaste brim (to get the shape))
top tier to look like the neckline/bodice of dress and then bottom tier the print of the dress. Might be cool to add a fondant rope border between the two cakes with the big tassles dangling down too?

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #22 of 43

I REALLY can't wait to see this cake!!! I love how you are incorporating so many ideas of ours and yours into a very cohesive sounding cake design! Don't you have a snow day to watch it??? icon_smile.gif

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:23pm
post #23 of 43

Tara didn't burn the city burned!!!!! Just another thought you could do the cake as the house with the pillars and then put in on a big enough cake board with the trees lining the road to the house
I loved that carol burnett skit too!!!! She was so funny

KHalstead Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:37pm
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

I REALLY can't wait to see this cake!!! I love how you are incorporating so many ideas of ours and yours into a very cohesive sounding cake design! Don't you have a snow day to watch it??? icon_smile.gif

LOL...that's the problem, we've had NOTHING but snow days (meaning kids have been home all day!!) that pretty much kills me getting anything acomplished!

I may have to try and watch it though, my mom was "disgusted that I haven't seen it" her words lol

so it's on my to do list!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:50pm
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

very cool julz

3. exactlly like julz did in paint. Literally making the hat on top (probably rice krispie treats and fondatn w/ gumpaste brim (to get the shape))
top tier to look like the neckline/bodice of dress and then bottom tier the print of the dress. Might be cool to add a fondant rope border between the two cakes with the big tassles dangling down too?

The tassels are not from that dress. The one with the tassels is from the curtain dress.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:17pm
post #26 of 43

I am almost positive that there was a Food Network Challenge for Gone With the Wind Cakes, I wonder if you could find something about it on the Food Network website.

I didn't see it until I was about 36. I just couldn't find a 4 hour block of time, but when I did, it was definitely worth it, such a wonderful movie.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:49pm
post #27 of 43
KHalstead Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:03pm
post #28 of 43

I gotcha, I knew it was the olive green dress that had the tassles........not sure why I put that with julz design (probably because I love cakes with swags and always want to do them and just got caught up in that dress having been curtains lol)

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:21am
post #29 of 43

Hey, what about "I don't know nuttin bout birthin' no babies" LOL...........can't leave that one out! HA I'm kidding

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #30 of 43

And don't forget Scarlett's other memorable quote, "I can't think about that right now. I'll think about that tomorrow."

You've got some great ideas. Definitely have to include the green dress and some gold tassles. Can't wait to see the cake!

I'm a huge fan, as well. I've seen it many, many times. My cat has blue eyes, "As blue as the Bonnie Blue Flag." So that's her name, Bonnie! I just love the feel of that movie, love Scarlett and Rhett and Melanie, and the costumes, LOVE the costumes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%