How To "filter" Orders

Business By KKsHubby Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 10:28pm by KKsHubby

KKsHubby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 43

It seems our business is growing faster than we can handle. We got our name out mostly by making over the top birthday cakes under market prices, but now it's a monster. We are beginning get the orders we've been striving for, weddings and corporate events, but we need to start turning down the smaller stuff because we can't handle the volume. Raising prices is a foregone conclusion, since were low anyway.
We are not prepared, nor do we want to hire workers....I work full-time and so does my wife, we want to pay off the bills before we quit the day jobs.

Any other suggestions from you guys?

www.kristinskonfections.com

42 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 43

Time to implement a minimum order amount.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 43

You know how doctors offices only do a certain number of well child/annual exams in a day? Block out exactly how many small/medium/large slots you can handle in a week. When all the slots are gone, they're gone.

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 43

Is there a........delicate way to do that? In this area, I think publishing a min order amount would make us look to upity.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKsHubby

Is there a........delicate way to do that? In this area, I think publishing a min order amount would make us look to upity.

If you are serious about dropping the little cakes and going high end wedding and corporate looking upity may work in your favour!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 43

Oh hell...I'm uppity and proud of it!

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 43

Ya'll have a good point!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 43

I plan on being very uppity one day.

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I plan on being very uppity one day.

party.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 43

Heck, I work out of my home and have a $100 minimum order.....actually considering making it $150 soon.

I don't want to be doing 10- $25 cakes a week......I'd rather work smart and not work hard. icon_wink.gif

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 43

Amen Deb!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #12 of 43

You got it..I raised my prices and implemented a minimum cake price so now I am doing 3-4 cakes a week for the same amount I was doing 6-7...icon_smile.gif

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 43

We've agreed that we have to set a min $3.50 per serving on all types of cakes, we're losing our minds with all of the work lately.

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:40pm
post #14 of 43

Kiddiekakes,

did you see any drop off at first?

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #15 of 43

And not just $3.50 per serving. It's $3.50/serving or $xx total, whichever comes first.

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 43

KK...A little...some regulars commented that my prices increased but I simply stated that my ingredients went up..(Which they did...) Icing sugar went up 40% since last year..I now pay over $80.00 a bag for the 40 kg bag..I used to get it for $58.00..People have to understand the price of business...Ingredients increase...costs increase..That simple...Those that like your cake for your designs and taste will not balk at the increase and then there will be some who don't return and in your case ..That is what you want!!

Edited to say..It has actaully made it easier because people can now see that I require a minimum cake order amount and if they don't want to pay that...they don't even email for info and waste my time.

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:46pm
post #17 of 43

Jamie,

Yeah, I suppose sanity is worth offending the few who would object to a minimum order amount.

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:47pm
post #18 of 43

Kiddiekakes,

Did I mention that we have a commercial shop that we rent? This is not out of our home, which is illegal in Louisiana.

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:48pm
post #19 of 43
Quote:

Jamie,

Yeah, I suppose sanity is worth offending the few who would object to a minimum order amount.

That's it right there. Sanity. That's what Deb is talking about it in her remark, and Kiddikakes as well. Why knock yourself out making $20 sheetcakes all week, when you can make 2 cakes a weekend for more money than those sheetcakes combined?? Heck no man...no way. icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #20 of 43

No..I don't think that was mentioned but regardless...the point is trying to field the lower end/priced cakes away to make room for the money makers...I say go for it...

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm
post #21 of 43

Jamie,

Actually, our problem is that we make detailed tiered and 3D cakes and just don't charge enough, so people are running us down!

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:57pm
post #22 of 43

Running you down..What do you mean?

_Jamie_ Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:57pm
post #23 of 43
Quote:

Jamie,

Actually, our problem is that we make detailed tiered and 3D cakes and just don't charge enough, so people are running us down!

Ah, well...then you already know what your problem is! Lol..get to work on raising those prices! Don't worry. People who value true art will stick around and you'll attract more as well. Don't worry about the people who aren't on the market for a perfectly appropriately priced creation. icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:59pm
post #24 of 43

I agree with Jamie....Raise thoses prices and those that can appraciate art and want to pay for it...Will!!

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:07pm
post #25 of 43

Kiddiekakes,

By running us down I mean that they are innundating us with requests. Sorry, guess that didn't come out right.

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:18pm
post #26 of 43

No worries...Glad to hear that someone is really sucessful....

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:20pm
post #27 of 43

Kiddiekakes,

How is the party supply business?

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:24pm
post #28 of 43

Suprisingly not as well as I hoped....I send out emails to cake customers and try to link with other sites but I have only had a dozen or so orders...I would have thought it would really take off but who can say why not...I also checked into Google advertising but didn't want to spend over $100.00 just incase it didn't work...Oh well...the cakes are my main focus anyway...

KKsHubby Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:31pm
post #29 of 43

I've done ecommerce sites in the past, and they were moderately successful. The problem is that once they become sucessful, it's very difficult to maintain the sites and a full-time job. It's a catch 22.

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:35pm
post #30 of 43

Yes..the great thing about this party company is you stock no inventory..It ships from the warehouse in Eastern Canada...You get 20% from each sale you make...It essentially sells itself and you barely have to do anything..The key is to get exposure and hits....Haven't figured that out yet!! Birthday Express in the US is huge so I don't underatnd why the sales are so slow..I mean as a SAHM of 2 I hate running around all over town to find birthday party supplies and since the majority of my clients are Mom's you would think it would do well...but hardly any of them ever buy..Go Figure!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%