post #1 of 8

I am trying to get that nice real gold look like margaret braun
I have tried gold dust it is not deep nor rich
Does someone know how??

7 replies
tesso Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 8

first, are you applying it wet? or dry?
Also. there are few different golds that are available. which one are you using?

a few options are: old gold, antique gold, aztec gold..and i think 2 others. i would have to check my cake supplies to be sure.

let me know which gold you are using and how you are applying. if you link a cake so some of us can see it. You will get a better more definitive answer as to which gold is being used.

pamcakesandcompany Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Thanks for your reply
I do know that they are several different golds
I mix a drop of vodka or a extract it is more of a dusting then that real
brilliant gold
I have margrets book
I still don't know how she is getting it so dark??
The Best

julzs71 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:48am
post #4 of 8

There is a sticky that shirey did to explain the gold and tonedna put one on her youtube website to help explain some gold dust.

retaunton Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:06am
post #5 of 8

How can I find the sticky that is referenced above? I am wanting to do a China themed cake for my nephew's birthday with the china red and gold dragons. I found molds for the dragons on globalsugarart. But I need to know how to get the shiney gold effect for the dragons. Is it possible without doing the airbrush painting? I did a search on "gold color" and did not find the sticky. Thanks!

zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:56am
post #6 of 8

When I paint with gold I make a paste with the gold dust an vodka and that gives a nice thick coat to it.

julzs71 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:17am
post #7 of 8

Sorry I thought it was a sticky.
I just copy and hasted this from one of shirleyw's postings.
I have the perfect answer for you, got this hint from the customer service rep. at Creative Cutters in Canada. Mix 3 parts gold luster dust with 1 part Super Pearl luster dust, thin with alcohol or Everclear and paint it on. The same works for shiny silver or chrome, mix 3 parts Nu Silver luster dust with 1 part Super Pearl Luster dust. Here is a teacup I painted with Albert Uster gold dust but it is expensive because they have a $100.00 minimum order requirement. Mixing the gold and pearl will give you the same effect.

retaunton Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks julzs71 for pasting the tip here. I couldn't get to the teacup on the link you posted. But I'm going to give this a try. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%