Does someone know how??
Thanks

7 replies
 tesso  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 8

hi,

first, are you applying it wet? or dry?
Also. there are few different golds that are available. which one are you using?

a few options are: old gold, antique gold, aztec gold..and i think 2 others. i would have to check my cake supplies to be sure.

let me know which gold you are using and how you are applying. if you link a cake so some of us can see it. You will get a better more definitive answer as to which gold is being used.

pamcakesandcompany  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamcakesandcompany Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Thanks for your reply
I do know that they are several different golds
I mix a drop of vodka or a extract it is more of a dusting then that real
brilliant gold
I have margrets book
I still don't know how she is getting it so dark??
The Best
pamcakes

julzs71  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:48am
post #4 of 8

There is a sticky that shirey did to explain the gold and tonedna put one on her youtube website to help explain some gold dust.

retaunton  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:06am
post #5 of 8

How can I find the sticky that is referenced above? I am wanting to do a China themed cake for my nephew's birthday with the china red and gold dragons. I found molds for the dragons on globalsugarart. But I need to know how to get the shiney gold effect for the dragons. Is it possible without doing the airbrush painting? I did a search on "gold color" and did not find the sticky. Thanks!

zdebssweetsj  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:56am
post #6 of 8

When I paint with gold I make a paste with the gold dust an vodka and that gives a nice thick coat to it.

julzs71  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:17am
post #7 of 8

Sorry I thought it was a sticky.
I just copy and hasted this from one of shirleyw's postings.
I have the perfect answer for you, got this hint from the customer service rep. at Creative Cutters in Canada. Mix 3 parts gold luster dust with 1 part Super Pearl luster dust, thin with alcohol or Everclear and paint it on. The same works for shiny silver or chrome, mix 3 parts Nu Silver luster dust with 1 part Super Pearl Luster dust. Here is a teacup I painted with Albert Uster gold dust but it is expensive because they have a $100.00 minimum order requirement. Mixing the gold and pearl will give you the same effect.
http://www.cakecentral.com/mod.....t=0&pos=53

retaunton  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks julzs71 for pasting the tip here. I couldn't get to the teacup on the link you posted. But I'm going to give this a try. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%