How Do You Create Coral?

Decorating By Charb31 Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 3:44am by madgeowens

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 13

I have the oppurtunity to make a wedding cake in July, and the B/G have changed their design to a seashell/coral cake. The shells are no problem, but the coral isn't the fanned out version, it's more condensed. Regardless of the kind, what would one make coral out of? btw...the wedding is the 4th of July weekend, so I'm not sure chocolate is my first option. Any help would be great. thanks!

12 replies
Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 13

bump

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 13

I have seen it made 2 ways...One with chocolate and one with Isomalt..hard candy...I saw a pastry chef put ice cubes in a bowl and pour chocolate(Candy melts I think) over the ice and then when it cooled from the ice it formed neat coral...Then I saw buddy last week on Cakeboss make it the same way but with isomalt sugar melted and poured over the ice the same way...Trick is not to refridgerate the coral after it is hardened or it disintagrates.sp?..Both made great coral but maybe the sugar is best for the heat...If you go to the TLC website you can watch the episode from last week to see how he does it.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 13

We used the following method recently published in a cake decorating magazine - put a cup or so of royal icing in a microwave safe bowl (make sure the bowl is large as the RI will expand); let the RI set out uncovered for several hours or overnight, heat the RI in the microwave on high. Watch it as you heat as the RI will begin to expand and crust up. Let the bowl and RI cool down and break off pieces of the RI to the size you want.

The look is great as you will have a little discoloring (from sugar burning) and pockmarks in the 'coral'.

Oops - forgot to mention - grease the bowl before add the RI.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 13

Ditto to Kiddiekakes
Forum SuperStar!

I saw it with isomat on cake boss... with all diffrnt colors... it looks AMAZING!!!!

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have seen it made 2 ways...One with chocolate and one with ..hard candy...I saw a pastry chef put ice cubes in a bowl and pour chocolate(Candy melts I think) over the ice and then when it cooled from the ice it formed neat coral...Then I saw buddy last week on make it the same way but with sugar melted and poured over the ice the same way...Trick is not to refridgerate the coral after it is hardened or it disintagrates.sp?..Both made great coral but maybe the sugar is best for the heat...If you go to the TLC website you can watch the episode from last week to see how he does it.

I was going to suggest this same thing! Ive been dying to try it since I saw that episode. looks very neat and so easy!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 13

I've done it using the royal icing. You can color it ahead of time if you want more than just white or if you have an airbrush you can airbrush some color on.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:40am
post #8 of 13

im going to attempt to make coral tonight. and will be using chocolate.
when pouring over ice- is it crushed ice or ice cubes?
and what colors would be good for coral?
TIA

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:13am
post #9 of 13

pinks, whites, oranges, reds... VERY pretty. You could do either for a very different effect. Have fun!!!

aundrea Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:26am
post #10 of 13

yes thats kinda the way i was thinking too. i made sea shells that were brown/white. so i wanted to do something brighter for the coral.
thanks!
do you know if i should crush the ice or use cubes.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:27am
post #11 of 13

on cake boss buddy used isomalt and it was gorgeous

aundrea Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:41am
post #12 of 13

im sure everything he does is awesome! ive never worked with isomalt, gonna try the choclate and see what happens. i just need alittle to go with ariel doll cake im making for my grandaughter birthday.
this should be interesting.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:44am
post #13 of 13

It really did not look too difficult, but you have to be careful, its hot............he poured isomalt over a tray with ice and colored the isomalt different colors...atleast I think thats the part he colored..and it was real cool. I learned that you can't put isomalt inthe fridge or it will melt...off that show....good luck with your cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%