Holey Buttercream, Batman! (Ack, Sorry. Need Help!)

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 2:19am by The_Lil_Cakehouse

JCE62108 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 11

I saw a post yesterday. Someone was asking how to get smooth buttercream. So I saw Indydebi said its good to beat it on low for like 10 minutes.

So, cool. I have a 4 tier BC wedding cake Im doing today. I made my icing, beating it on medium for 5 mintues, and on the lowest speed for 10 minutes. I started to ice my cakes and realize Ive just made the holiest (holey-ist, is that a word?) buttercream in history.

Did I over beat it? Do you think maybe if I put it on low for a bit longer I can work out those bubbles? Im running low on PS. I hope I have enough for another batch or two if needed. I dont know if I can save this stuff.

This is the recipe I use, if that helps...
-2 sticks butter
-2 cups shortening
-2 lbs PS
-2 tsp vanilla
-1 tsp butter flavor
-1 tsp almond
-water to thin as needed.

Advice???

10 replies
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 11

I don't know if this could be the problem, but If I only have 2lbs of powdered sugar then I only use 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter and 1 cup of shortening. It appears like maybe too much liquid in your recipe, I could be wrong. I'm not that great at troubleshooting without physically "seeing" it. I'm sorry, I hope I helped some. I'd throw another 1 lb (4 cups) of PS in there, just from your recipe description....

rockytop Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 11

Looking at the recipe you made need to add 2lbs more of PS. The recipe that i use 2 lbs of shorting to 4 lbs of PS.

HTH
Roger

JCE62108 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 11

Hmm, it does seem a little softer than normal. In addition to the recipe I only added about 2 tbsp water.

I did change butter recently. I stopped using store brand butter and get land-o-lakes now. I figured out that the store brand butter was causing my ganache to seize, land-o-lakes doesnt. So I just use that now. I guess the store brand must have had more water in it or something. hmm.

Anyways, I havent changed anything it seems except the butter of course, and the way I mixed it. I dont normally mix it that way. I might mix it on medium for 3 minutes, then on low for 3 minutes and that's usually it. Im guessing I over-whipped it, but Im not sure because of Debi's advice, and I trust my girl knows what she's talking about! icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 11

Ok, well Ill stick it back in the mixer with some more sugar....worried it will be too sweet though. It tastes perfect right now....

JCE62108 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 11

Ok, I added some more PS and beat it on low for just a minute or so. It did seem to help a bit with the holes, but not as much as Id have liked. The icing doesnt seem like its crusting really well, so I stuck it in the freezer. I hope once the BC is cold I might be able to smooth it with a hot damp spatula or my finger or something.

I tell ya...its just not my weekend. icon_sad.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #7 of 11

You didn't beat it on high enough speed. Was your mixer completely full? You need a totally full mixer and beat on speed 6 for a while.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:58am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Ok, I added some more PS and beat it on low for just a minute or so. It did seem to help a bit with the holes, but not as much as Id have liked. The icing doesnt seem like its crusting really well, so I stuck it in the freezer. I hope once the BC is cold I might be able to smooth it with a hot damp spatula or my finger or something.

I tell ya...its just not my weekend. icon_sad.gif

I hate weekends like that! I hope it gets better for you!!!

sugarshack Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:03am
post #9 of 11

I find the trick to no air in the icng is to fill that mixer bowl over the beaters:

JCE62108 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:50am
post #10 of 11

My bowl was completly full. It actually was over the beater, just about as full as it could get without overflowing.

Its ok. Ill smooth it out somehow.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

I find the trick to no air in the icng is to fill that mixer bowl over the beaters:

when making a batch that big, when do you color it? and if you split it up in tubs to color, will that create air?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%