Satin Ice, Fondx, Fondarific Or Chocopan Fondant???

Decorating By CAKE_NEWBIE Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm by sweetiesbykim

CAKE_NEWBIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 7

Hey Guys,

I wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on teh different types of fondant? i usually use satin ice which works well but i wanted to know if people thought the other brands worked better or vise versa. Any info is greatly appreciated

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 7

I use Satin Ice & FondX. I've found that they are extremely consistent and cost effective.

I love knowing that I have it on hand when I need it and that I don't have to carve out time to buy the ingredients, make it, let it rest, clean up yet another kitchen mess, etc.

I haven't used Fondarific as I can't justify the $$$$.

I have used Chocopan and for me, it's just too finicky (and too $$$$). Because of the amount of chocolate in it, it seems to need a narrow temperature window for working with it easily--room too cold and it's hard as a rock & needs to be microwaved in order to knead it, room too hot and it's sticky and dents easily when being handled.

I have mixed ChocoPan with SI, FondX, and Wilton (about 1/3 CP) and the results are wonderful--tasty, easy to work with, etc--handy when I don't have time or materials to make modeling chocolate to mix in with the fondant.

JMHO
Rae

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 7

I would like to add to the question...if I may...Marshmallow Fondant (MMF) and Michele Fosters Delicious Fondant

thanks!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 7

I use the 2lb bright white chocopan with 2-5lbs of white satin ice. It really extends the working time, and I don't have the issues with cracking or getting dry on me. It's given me more time to fidget with smoothing the fondant, and has a nice sheen when it's worked. It also tastes better. I'd like to experiment more with homemade, though. Cheaper, and no shipping time or charges.

Galler- I have printed the fondant recipe from here using heavy cream and butter -Michele Foster's? I'd like to try the white chocolate version. Has anyone tried this recipe? It's not with marshmallows, but gelatin, 10X, corn syrup, etc. I'd like to know how the texture is, and any other details about it, before I spend the $$ and time on making it.

cakeluvs42- I do have Carrie's Cakes DVD, but haven't tried it yet. Have you made it with the Creme Bouquet like she suggests?

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 7

Kim, how is that dvd? I was thinking about buying it because she, like Sharon is so sweet but still kind of on the fence.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

I use the 2lb bright white chocopan with 2-5lbs of white . It really extends the working time, and I don't have the issues with cracking or getting dry on me. It's given me more time to fidget with smoothing the fondant, and has a nice sheen when it's worked. It also tastes better. I'd like to experiment more with homemade, though. Cheaper, and no shipping time or charges.

Galler- I have printed the fondant recipe from here using heavy cream and butter -Michele Foster's? I'd like to try the white chocolate version. Has anyone tried this recipe? It's not with marshmallows, but gelatin, 10X, corn syrup, etc. I'd like to know how the texture is, and any other details about it, before I spend the $$ and time on making it.

cakeluvs42- I do have Carrie's Cakes DVD, but haven't tried it yet. Have you made it with the Creme Bouquet like she suggests?

Hi Kim

Is it like 2lbs chocopan to 10lbs satin ice or 2 lbs chocopan to 5 tlbs satin ice? I would live to try it.
For Carries's recipe, I cannot justify buying glucose it is so much. Wish I could use the corn syrup instead. If you ever make eit tell me how you like it.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 7

terrig007-I really like the DVD, very detailed and well done. She makes it, then she has 2 students make it and gives them instruction and tips. The recipe is close to the Cake Bible recipe for fondant that I've made several times.

kkitchen -I buy the 2 lbs of choco-pan, and mix it with two lbs of satin ice. I recently bought the 5lbs of satin ice and mixed that with the 2lbs of choco-pan, and it also worked nicely. It depends on how much $ you want to spend, and what texture you need. The choco-pan gets softer the longer you work with it, or in warmer temps, or with hot hands, so you can adjust the amt of satin ice (my hands are usually cold). Have you worked with straight choco-pan before, to know how it acts?

I buy Wilton glucose at my craft store with their occasional 1/2 price coupon, or at Walmart in the craft section. I've used corn syrup, and there's just more water in it than glucose. There isn't a noticable difference making it with corn syrup or glucose, in my opinion. I like the softness in the fondant to come from fat (glycerine, chocolate or shortening) because the texture will last. Even if it feels hard after it's stored, the microwave brings it to life. The higher the fat content makes it easier to work with for me, which is why I like adding the chocolate. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%