Rust Brown And Moss Green Wedding Cake - Yiekes, Help!!!

Decorating By egensinnig Updated 14 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm by ninatat

egensinnig Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 11

I just got an order for a 3 tiered traditional wedding cake in the colors .....
MOSS GREEN and RUST BROWN!!! Yiekes - I just hate those colcors and it sort of killed my creativity. I will try to persuade them to have a white cake with just small color accents but still...soooo ugly colors

Any ideas on how to use those two colors? Seen anything in that color scheme? ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated

10 replies
nwnest Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 11

Definitely challenging! I wonder why they chose those colors for their wedding. (Are they hunters who have a camoflage theme?)

How about brown branches trailing up the sides with small moss leaves and cherry or apple blossoms? You could have the cake white, or a lighter shade of the brown or green. It could be very pretty.

Or what about a more modern fondant covered cake where each layer is a different pattern (stripes, dots, you know what I mean.) Patterns with dark chocolate brown seem to be very popular: brown/pink, brown/blue, brown/green.

Do they want flowers? I would never be able to find it again, but I saw a cake in one of the galleries that was a dark rusty orange with gerbera daisies on it lighter orange, yellow and gold with green leaves. It was stunning, though it was very much a cake for autumn.

It is a strange request. Good luck!

prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 11

What the frick? Somebody was NOT thinking when they picked out those colors. As my hubby just exclaimed: oh boy! a wedding cake that looks like a pile of poo!

infinitsky Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 11

It will be a challenge, but you have to win.

Ask them if they have anything that inspired them, like wedding invitations, napkins, a shirt or anything. They must have decided on these two colors based on some inspiration.

Try to use kind very light colors.

Add one two or even more colors in it in the neutral tone shades to tone it down.

Keep it simple, and clean since the colors are not traditional for a wedding cake.

I am guessing a modern design will work better than a traditional design.

Best of all try to change their mind so you can just use those color as accent colors on the cake.

I do not bake for sale, and I am not sure how you deal with customers, but if it is appropriate in the baking buisiness let them know your options are limited due to their color choice, and if it is rude or you will lose the customers just do not say it.

I searched "brown and green wedding cake" many pictures popped (mostly green) I copied this one for you to look at it.

The source is

Good luck and post a picture.

egensinnig Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 11

azhamills - thanks for the great ideas - I've been thinking some kind of branches with moss leaves and white flowers with a bron/orange center. The cake you describes sounds really beautiful too.
I'm just going to try to keep as much as possible white I think and keep the colors to a minimum if possible icon_smile.gif

prterrell - that's exactly my point of view initially too....But hey I just have to see this as a creative challenge right? That's what you got to do when you deal with creativity challenged customers icon_biggrin.gif

MissSassyBuns Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 11

I was thinking that "rust brown" can be interpreted as bronze. Maybe a moss green cake with painted on bronze accents (scrolls/swirls/leaves) that could be pretty.

TitiaM Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 11

Actually, I think it could be beautiful! I like bold colors. I would put them with Ivory or light tan, instead of white, and since rust brown and moss green are both darks you need some medium tone colors. Maybe gold, copper or lighter colors of the green and brown for the medium tones. Ohhh....must go design cake...... icon_biggrin.gif

egensinnig Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 6:11am
post #8 of 11

MissSassybuns - that's a good idea - I love metallic sheen.

TitiaM - I love bright colors as well but moss green and rust bright are not bright in my color book...they are dusky . But I like the idea of combinating them with medium tones.

I now see a light moss green cake with matt finish and bronze cut outs in a quite strict design.....
Or an ivory base with gold, bronze and moss green detailing....hmmmm....

THANKS for all input - it feels a lot better now!!

tesso Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 7:41am
post #9 of 11

if you are looking for a little shine. i have used the moss green in luster dust and it kind of rust and green together. Not the most attractive color but if you combine it with cooper/bronze or antique gold it is stunning. icon_eek.gif yah it surprise the heck out of me too. i didnt expect it.

egensinnig Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:24pm
post #10 of 11

infinitsky - thank you for the pic and your ideas! I will ask for invitations, wedding boquet and other sources for inspiration. The strange thing is that the couple are far from mainstream and I was expecting something fun and extravagant.....

ninatat Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 11

maybe if you show them a little bc in those colors, they may change their minds, just a thought

Quote by @%username% on %date%