Cake Pricing

Decorating By hmeadows45044 Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 6:46pm by lisamenz

hmeadows45044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmeadows45044 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone I am wondering, the cake decorators like myself (no business) who do it out of their home, what do you charge for your cakes? I need like a price list or something helping me out with my cake prices! Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

4 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 5

Most people suggest knowing exactly how much it costs YOU to make the cake, such as cost of ingredients, utilities, gas for travel, and then you can decide how much you want for your time. If you pay $20 for ingredients, you want that back, plus a dollar amount for each hour you spent on the cake. I'm horrible at pricing, so i always love to read these answers.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 5

IF you sell cakes it a business, regardless if at home or in store front.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 5

are you a legal business? if not the answer is very easy - 0.
if you are, then it gets trickier!

a common base price for a bc cake per serving is $2.50. but if you live in an area where all prices are way above average, and butter costs $10 for 10g, that doesnt help!

you need to figure out your costs (dont forget the cocktail sticks, the kitchen roll,t he electricity).
you need to study the competition (which is part of a business plan) and see what they charge - which tells you what the market will accept. (the competition is not walmart - it is custom bakeries)
then you get to charge your hourly rate, which should be at least minimum wage.

it is tricky, and it does take a lot of time and maths (although i think there is a sticky calles alices pricing matrix in on of the forums, or the product cake boss, which makes the maths much easier), but once its done you know your products inside out, and have a firm grasp of how and why to price.
xx

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 5

It depends also on your skill level. Even if you are starting out don't under price yourselve. Make sure you you get paid for your time. I know when I started out I was at grocery store pricing. , but as I got more advanced in my knownledge and skill level, then I went up in my pricing. You should be above pricing of the grocery stores. You are able to have more freedom in your cake art. Grocery stores are not. Make sure your cakes are extra beautiful and really taste great. That right there will seperate you from the normal decorators. I wouldn't do anything for less then $3.00 to $3.50 a person per slice when I started out icon_biggrin.gif , but thats just my recommendations. It depends on your area and demand. Good luck I hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%