Make Wilton Fondant Softer??

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 8:07am by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 10

Is there any way to make Wilton packaged fondant softer?? Something to add so it doesn't get so hard on the cake? Just thought I would check. Thanks

9 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 10

I only use it to make bows and such but maybe some glycerine?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 10

Have you tasted it? Some people like it but they are very few in number. I would say roll it out and drop a few drops of vanilla and then grease your hands up really good with Crisco and go to town on it like a kid with play dough for the first time. It takes a lot of working and kneading it to get it pliable.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 10

Please don't put Wilton fondant a cake anyone is going to eat! There is so much better tasting fondant out there or you can make your own. IMO Wilton shouldn't even be considered edible.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 10

Wilton fondant no longer tastes too terribly bad. I think it gets a worse rap than it deserves. They have certainly improved the formula since they first brought it out. As well, it smells better in its packaging then when opening a tub of Satin Ice. None of that chemical smell. I personally love it for bows, figures, and it is fantastic for dummies. I don't use it to cover a cake, but I know what the OP means when asking about making it more pliable. Heat it in the microwave for about 12 seconds and then add about a tablespoon of shortening to it and knead it in well. HTH!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 10

exactly how hard is it getting?
im in the uk, so dont use wilton, but our store bough ones never really get hard on the cake.
how do you store the cake?
xx

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:24am
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone. I may be using too much powdered sugar when kneeding. I store it room temp. I am going to try Satin Ice, but you say it smells bad? Does it take good? Making my own is just too much work in the little time I have.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #8 of 10

When you open the tub of Satin Ice and take it out of it's plastic liner, it has a very "chemical" smell (In my humble opinion --but I've heard others say it as well.) It tastes good, and I don't notice the smell after it is on the cake, but it too dries very hard. I laughingly refer to it as the "melon affect." You can thump the cake --same as you can with many other fondants. That's not all bad as it acts as a great preservative as well. Double edged sword, I guess.

Also, if you use a silicone pad to knead and roll out your fondant, you should not need more than a small shake of powdered sugar when working with it. A good smear of shortening on the silicone will keep your fondant pliable and easy to work with and no ps required while kneading.

HTH!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:03am
post #9 of 10

I agree that recently Wilton does not taste nealry as bad as it did before....

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:07am
post #10 of 10

when I used wilton.......I would put it in the microwave for about 10 secs.... makes it easier to work with. also, roll it oun on shortening instead of sugar or corn starch. I do however recommend switching to a better fondant, although wilton may be better than it was, it's still not great in my opinion. satin ice does have a funky smell at first, but when I deliver my cakes, all I can smell is sweet icing smell when I open the box!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%