Help......army Digital Camo?????

Decorating By Lee9 Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm by Lee9

Lee9 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a cake for a friend's boyfriend who is going into the Army and thought the design was no problem. The cake with be sheet cake with FBCT diagonal waving flag design, small fatigue cap cake, and gumpaste dog tags.The part that I am stumped on is how to do the Army Digital Camo on the fatigue cap. I have done regular camo using fondant on an army tank, but the digital looks much harder. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
LL
LL

6 replies
CakesbyCindi Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 7

Waiting to see reply on this one, have a cake coming up for my son's Natl Guard Unit, and want to do the same digital camo. I have given it some thought, but so far nothing seems feasable... So please someone come up with a good way to do this....

CakesbyCindi Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 7

The only other thing I though of was doing an edible image of the pattern and cutting it out to fit the cake??? What do you think???

Lee9 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 7

sounds ok except i don't have an edible printer

CakesbyCindi Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 7

Could you have your local bakery or grocery store print one for you? Mine does it for $5.00 a 8 1/2 x 11. Could get rather spendy if you needed more than one sheet though. I bought a printer from a bakery going out of business due to a fire, but it needs new ink cartridges, so will probably have the store do it for me if I don't get them by the time I need it. They are rather expensive, or at least to me they are as I am a hobby baker.

sadsmile Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 7

Time to peal those potatoes! Sorry I couldn't resist the Army pun.
If you cut a potato in half and then cut your pattern into it and cut away the excess you are left with an edible stamp. It would be tedious to cut a few of them with odd spaced squares like that digital camo, but once you have your stamps the painting would go faster. Start with the lightest color and work your way to the darkest color. Might work better in gel colors or colored RI- time for experimenting. One thing is for sure to cut out tiny squares of fondant to make that camo would be just about impossible. Once you have it all painted I suggest you lightly dust it in PS to absorb the excess moisture and give it a matte finish.

Lee9 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 7

I might never eat another potato after all that, maybe that's a good thing. But it is definitely an idea, thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%