Cake Absorbed Odor... Help!

Decorating By artsycakes14 Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 5:37pm by ninatat

artsycakes14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsycakes14 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 6

I just made an amazing cake and covered it a layer of dirty icing. Stuck it in the fridge overnight, although it was too big to cover. I have done this before and never had a problem. This morning it smells a little like something in the fridge. My husband thinks it smell fine, but I am worried it will taste funny.
My question is if I scrape off some of the frosting and put a fresh coat on, will that fix the problem? Or do you think the cake absorbed it too???

Help!

5 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 6

Yeah just scrape off the icing and do it again. Nothing is too big to cover. Just use two or three widths of cling wrap or foil and get it covered.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 6

This is why I don't refrigerate my cakes. Did it have a perishable filling? If not, there isn't much reason to refrigerate.

artsycakes14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsycakes14 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 6

Mug-a-bug: Have you found a non-perishable buttercream that tastes good. I finally found one that I love up it calls for 2-3 tblsp. of whipping cream. Which, I guess, need refrigeration. If you have a recipe that you love, could you share it? Thanks!
Steph

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 6

I use sugarshack's recipe. She uses hot coffee creamer as the liquid but you can use anything (even milk) without needing to refrigerate. I'm no scientist but it has something to do the with the sugar preserving the milk. Here is a link to an article that can explain it a lot better than me: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-do-salt-and-sugar-preserve-food.htm Hope that helps! thumbs_up.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 6

ok all the bc's i tried i like sugar shack's the best, it's not overly sweet, i'm am going to try the cake boss and see how that taste's has anyone made it thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%