Sculpted Cupcake Cake -- Sides?

Decorating By dogwood Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 4:28pm by cownsj

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 11

I am going to be making a 4" round cake and sculpting it to look like a cupcake. My question is, how do I make the sides look like cupcake paper?

10 replies
juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 11

you can cover the sides on buttercream, let it crust and then using a spatula or spoon make vertical indentation. hope that's clear.

dogwood Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 11

That sounds easy enough, I'll give it a try! Thanks!

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 11

here is a pic I found on flickr which might help you with the sides if you wanted to cover with fondant.
LL

dogwood Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for the picture but I'm not charging them enough to cover with fondant. Although it will be nice to have a picture in front of me while sculpting.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 11

I know you mentioned sculpting it but I thought i would throw another idea out there for you. I did a b-day cake a few months ago and they wanted a jumbo cupcake on top. I purchased waffle cone bowls, baked 2 cakes in little corningware dishes, put one in the waffle bowl and inverted one on top. Then I frosted the top to look like a cupcake and added sprinkles.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1528142

dogwood Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks! Good idea. thumbs_up.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 11

We were just at the beginning of taking our classes when we got the giant cupcake pan. We thought, GREAT, it's got the paper marking right into the mold.... silly us. Of course we couldn't just frost over it and have it work. But, what we did do was put a decent amount of frosting on the bottom then turned our spatula to about a 45 degree angle and pulled up from the bottom to get the lines. It took a little practice and we could have done better, but is this kind of like what you are looking to achieve? http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll426/ShelbyLynnCakes/?action=view¤t=7.jpg

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 11

I've never made a cupcake cake, but if I were and wanted to use buttercream icing, I would let the icing crust, then using a dowel rod in verticle position press into the side of iced cake. Just a thought!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 11

I did that on my giant cupcake on my lady bug cake. The cupcake was made with the giant cupcake pan but when I iced it in BC I just put a thick coat of BC on smoothly and then held up a Viva and used a dowel(a wooden spoon handle would work great) to make vertical impressions all the way around. it worked splendidly.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 11

I love that idea too, and will definitely keep it in mind for next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%