Fondant/gumpaste Crayons?!?!?!?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 23 Jan 2016 , 3:43pm by soldiernurse

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 10

icon_eek.gif I really need some help here, I have been asked to make a birthday cake where they want crayons standing vertically all along around the bottom tier.

What is the best way to make these crayons? I want them to look as realistic/ uniform (skinny Crayola like) as possible.

I have not figured measurements yet but I am sure will need to make a ton...any ideas on how i can pull this off??

Thanks so much!!

9 replies
RafaelLogrono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RafaelLogrono Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 10

Okay! I made fondant crayons for a live competition I had at the NY Cake Convention. I used a fondant extruder, BUT the disk for the extruder were too thin to look like a crayon. So what I did was, I asked my dad to make me a special disk with a 3/8 to 1/2 inch whole. I uses all the extra colored fondant I had.

I pointed the end of the strip and took black food coloring and hand painted the lines and scribbled on to look like the the name of the color. I let them dry for a while....

If you want me to send you pictures of the crayons on the base of the cake, or if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to help you. E-mail me at: (mod edited.)

Hope that help!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #3 of 10

you could also make your own mold from silcone with a real crayon..... then use fondnat or choc for the cake ones....

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 10

I'm doing the same thing..can you send me a photo if you still have it?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 10

an economical way to proceed -- although who doesn't salivate over a clever mold -- is to simply acquire two dowel the size you want the crayon to be -- and make a sausage of corn starch infused fondant -- roll it between the two dowel -- so you're rolling all three together --  and you will quickly see how you can get it perfectly rounded --

then just wing it on molding the tip -- i'd probably dust the sides to emulate the crayon wrapper then use an edible ink marker for the accents -- and the americolor gourmet markers are preferred and you can cut the tip to make a fine point --

best to you

edited to say -- the dowel need to be the same size around as the crayons

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 23 Jan 2016 , 1:25pm
CiNoRi Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 10

That's pretty much what I did...no molds here. I also have made them using an extruder tip that was the size if the crayons. From there I hand sgsoed the tips, dried, then painted the black details.

CiNoRi Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 10

That's pretty much what I did...no molds here. I also have made them using an extruder tip that was the size if the crayons. From there I hand sgsoed the tips, dried, then painted the black details.

CiNoRi Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 10

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 10

Thx Pros.. I love the dowel idea and will definitely try that.. will try to find the Americcolor markers too. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%