Quitters Unite - I Wanna Stop Smoking!

Lounge By KitchenKat Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 2:32am by Melvira

KitchenKat Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:51am
post #1 of 7

Anyone here thinking about or planning or actively trying to quit smoking. I want to quit! I've been smoking on and off for years but only got into the daily habit about 5 years ago. At most I'd smoke half a pack a day.

I've quit and then restarted..oh.. about 6 times or so.

Now I want to quit for good. It's tough. When I've had a good meal, I want to smoke. When I'm stressed I want a fag (slang for a cigarette). Drinks with friends, yup, I wanna smoke again.

Since I made a decision to quit in December 2009, I've probably smoked about 5 sticks total. I want to be able to quit for real, no cheating no excuses. I really want to stop.

Anyone going through the same experience?

Looking for

6 replies
Margieluvstobake Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:57am
post #2 of 7

I have quit twice in my life. The first time I was quit for 10 years. It only took 1 cigarette to start me back again. I smoked for about another 10 years and I quit again July 2006.

One thing I have learned about myself is that I cannot take even 1 puff off a cigarette. I'm like the alcoholic that cannot take even 1 drink. I have no willpower and cannot control the smoking. It is either all or nothing with me. My husband still smokes and I constantly want one.

I hope you can lick this.

KitchenKat Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:45am
post #3 of 7

You sound just like me. Why did you quit, if you don't mind my asking. I want to quit cos I know it's not healthy and I'm tired of worrying about how it's affecting my health.

Margieluvstobake Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 7

The first time I quit I was much younger. It was vanity. I smelled like a cigarette all the time. My hands stank.
This last time it has been for health reasons. I am overweight, have high blood pressure and am recently diagnosed with diabetes. Quitting smoking was easier than going on a diet for me. If I could just quit eating entirely, then I could lose weight. As I said before, I have no willpower. It is easier for me to totally cut something out than to control it. So smoking was the thing that I was able to get rid of easiest - If you can call it easy.

Melvira Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 7

I'm going to weigh in here as a non-smoker for almost 10 years now.

#1. YOU ARE AWESOME!!! For even wanting to quit, you deserve a HUGE pat on the back. I am already proud of you for knowing you NEED and WANT to do this for yourself.

#2. You HAVE to need/want this for YOURSELF. Look at yourself in the mirror and know that YOU DESERVE BETTER! You are an amazing person that deserves the best health and happiness, and that does not include dirty, smelly, carcinogenic cigarettes!

I don't look down on people who smoke, (at least I don't conciously, I'm sorry if I do it unknowingly!!) but I do wish I could convince everyone in the world to quit. Don't get me wrong, I know how addictive it is, and there are rare occasions when I think, "Man, a smoke would hit the spot right now!" but then I slap the sh** out of myself! hahahaha!

Now, different things work for different people, but I want to share my experience with you. I used a product available only by prescription. It's called Zyban. You get the pills and start taking them for one week in which you continue to smoke, but you set a date that will be your 'quit' date. So, say you start taking them on Monday and you say, "Sunday when I wake up, I will never have another cigarette again." And you stick to that. I noticed that in the week where you're taking the pills and still smoking, I was cutting WAY back without even trying. I just didn't *need* the cigs as often. (I was about a half a pack a day gal, too) When my quit day came I did it... no more smokes. I was a little edgy the first two days, on the third day I was a cranky B*****, but by day four I was a non-smoker. It was AMAZING. After a month I couldn't believe it. After a few years I would actually startle myself when I remembered that I used to smoke! Isn't that funny? It just seemed so strange that I used to do that! I could hardly even imagine smoking a cigarette!

You can continue to take the pills for up to 12 weeks if needed, but I found that after 2 weeks I wasn't craving smokes, and I was only remembering to take the pills *some* days, so I just quit taking them and I was fine. If you need longer, give yourself longer! Whatever increases your chances of success. And if one method doesn't work for you, DON'T GIVE UP!!! Sometimes what works for one person won't work for another. KEEP TRYING! Use five different methods if you need to! I just know I liked the pills as opposed to say nicotine gum because with the gum you're still feeding that nicotine addiction, just in another medium, KWIM? the Zyban works in a different way, it has no nicotine in it.

Now, as a *reformed* smoker, let me tell you, I am THE WORST! I have always hated the smell, the dirty ashes, etc. but it's worse now! My hubby said that when I was a smoker you could almost not tell because I was very particular about that...never wanted to smell like it, emptied ashtrays immediately, etc. But I just want to warn you that once you quit, you may become completely intolerant of it. And that's ok. Eventually you will stop throwing bricks at people who get too close with a lit cigarette! hahahaha!

I am sending you the strongest, most fervent 'you can do it' vibes that I know of! I hope you do it, I hope you give it your all, and I hope you succeed. But, if you fail, you can come cry on my shoulder. I'll give you a pep talk, then slap the tobacco out of you! Hahahaha!!! thumbs_up.gif

KitchenKat Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:48am
post #6 of 7

Thanks Margie and Melvira!

Melvira I will look into Zyban. Right now I'm getting help with accupuncture.

One thing that worries me about quitting is losing weight. Some people I know put on quite a bit when the stopped smoking. I hope I don't

Melvira Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:32am
post #7 of 7

That is an absolute valid concern! The thing you will have to do is find something to do with your hands, mouth, etc. that does not center around food! OR... sugar free life savers and similar things like that are a Godsend! You DO IT lady!!! I am excited for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%