Can I Frost And Fondant A Frozen Cake?

Decorating By DebraDough Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 4:06am by catlharper

DebraDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraDough Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:08am
post #1 of 5

I usually have my ducks in a row but they all got loose today! I have a cowboy hat and a hay bale baked, crumb coated and they are frozen. I want to get this over with NOW. If I frost and fondant will the moisture bleed through? Thanks for the imput my fellow cc ers.

4 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:17am
post #2 of 5

I personally wouldnt do it.

I think that as the cake defrosts the moisture and air buildup may cause your fondant to get sticky and breakdown...not to mention the dreaded Bulge/Bubble.

Defrost it at room temp the work on covering it icon_smile.gif

HTH

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 5

This is just hear say but I've heard if you put fondant on a frozen cake it will make air bubbles under the surface. Then another time I heard that if you got air bubbles you can prick it with a pin and smooth it out. Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can help you out. I'd like to know for sure too!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #4 of 5

That's the only way I do it and I have never had any problem! I live in a really dry climate (that may be why) icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:06am
post #5 of 5

Crumb coat the frozen cake then let it sit for at least two hours..for two reasons. One is to let the cake settle (no bulge will show) and the other is to prevent the gas bubbles that happen if the cake is too cold when you put the fondant on.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%