Strips On Sides Of Cakes

Decorating By lauthala Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 6:18pm by Debi2

lauthala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauthala Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:40am
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a cake with the fondant strips on the side of a cake, like the photo enclosed,not done this before,unable to find any tutorials on this,but maybe it has a special name for it.I have heard that it can be done with a clay gun.any ideas.
LL

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 10

No advice, just wanted to say that is one classy looking cake! I envy you getting to make it! thumbs_up.gif

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #3 of 10

I can't see the pic all that well, but it appears to be narrow ribbons with pearl luster on a fondant base. My clay gun does narrow strips that have a "ribbon" look to them like that. I'm no expert though...just my two cents. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 10

I think cutting the strips with a herb mincer would be easier on your hands than the clay gun, as long as you were going for about 1/4" wide strips.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 10

I've done this look before. I used the linguine attachment on my pasta maker. Note that, while it appears the strips are right next to each other, you really need to leave a space around each.

This is because the part that's on the top surface of the cake would need to get narrower as it went towards the center of the cake(think how a pie slice narrows toward the center) If the strips are to close, they will overlap on the top surface.

If you blow up this photo, it looks like a 1/16" gap between each ribbon.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:30am
post #6 of 10

i think it looks like the fondant was pressed in after the cake was covered. like taking a long skewer and pressing into the side and rolling it up onto the top. that would be the easy way to do it.

lauthala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauthala Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 8:20am
post #7 of 10

Thanks for inputs,didn't think of the linguine attach.would you place the strips straight on the cake or let them dry a little bit,I'm making a 3 tier wedding cake, so far only the bottom will have the strips,not sure about the other tiers yet,I have free rein with this cake.

summerki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summerki Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:58am
post #8 of 10

If I were you I would mix half modeling chocolate with fondant to make the strips. It has a much sturdier texture than simply fondant and it cuts much more cleanly. Plus, if you let it sit for a bit it firms up but you have less risk of cracking due to drying like you may with fondant. You may want to try a small bit if you have some on hand.

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 10

Definitely use a pasta machine on the fettucine setting it works so well, I use fondant mixed with tylo and knead it till it snappy like chewing gum. I would say there are gaps too. Gorgeous cake I love that effect.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 10

Beautiful cake! I agree with the others here....use the pasta maker and make linguine strips. I've done this before and it works really well. Your strips will come out very uniform in size and thickness this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%