Help Royal Icing Issues

Decorating By cakeaddictunite Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 1:45am by pj22

cakeaddictunite Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 9

ok first off I am a novice at this whole cake decorating art.i tried to do some RI flowers~ the simple blossoms. OMG they were a mess I used a 2d tip and they turned out to look like hershey kisses and yes I turned my wrist. maybe the RI was too wet. what should the icing be like??? it was not runny by any means. icon_cry.gif

8 replies
Lita829 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry to hear that you are having issues icon_sad.gif . I am not sure if you make your RI with egg whites or meringue powder. If you are making it with meringue powder here's what I can advise. After your royal icing is done beating, it should look like spackle for dry wall. If that is too stiff for the flower you are trying to create, you can thin it with water...a little at time, stirring well after each addition. It should feel like thick buttercream in the decorators bag but shouldn't be so thick that it hurts your hands to pipe.

HTH

cakeaddictunite Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 9

aacckkk well its to thin then grrrrr thanks for your help it was more like thick pancake batter icon_cry.gif ok i'll try some more later tonight. icon_lol.gif

millermom Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 9

If there was any grease AT ALL on your bowl or beaters, the RI won't set up properly. make sure everything is completely clean.

(I don't mean that in a bad way, but sometimes if you have been working with regular BC as well, any grease transfer will ruin the RI)

Lita829 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

If there was any grease AT ALL on your bowl or beaters, the RI won't set up properly. make sure everything is completely clean.

(I don't mean that in a bad way, but sometimes if you have been working with regular BC as well, any grease transfer will ruin the RI)

I agree. I usually soak the bowl of the kitchenAid, the paddle attachment, spoons (to stir with), the couplers, and tips in hot tap water with vinegar for about 3-4 minutes to "de-grease" them before making RI.

cakeaddictunite Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 9

you saying i'm greasy???!!! lol j/k. thanks for the hint icon_twisted.gif

millermom Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 12:07am
post #7 of 9

We didn't want you to think that at all! We're just speaking from experience icon_wink.gif

cakeaddictunite Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #8 of 9

phewwww I was thinking I know its not time for my monthly shower lol. icon_lol.gif

pj22 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:45am
post #9 of 9

My Wilton instructor also advised us to beat the royal icing till stiff peaks form when you lift the mixer attachment. That can serve as a guide for you to get the right consistency.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%