Need Some Structure Help/ideas For Greek Temple Cake

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 1:28am by FEIwannabe

tootie0809 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 7

I need some major expertise or advice here. I have a potential client willing to spend top dollar on a Parthenon cake. She specifically wants it very, very detailed. Where I'm most concerned is the structure of it. I'll attach some photos, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's a good idea to try to do all the columns in GP or somethign else and then they support the roof which I don't know if it shoudl be RKT or just GP. I'm thinking of lots of options. I've done some research and I've seen some parthenon cakes where the columns just attached to the cake itself, but she wants the columns to be open, like the real thing. Here's some photos for reference. Any help, advice, knock-upside-the-head would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
tootie0809 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 7

Here's another photo.....

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 7

You can do columns using gumpaste wrapped around dowels for support. Maybe a rectangular cake on the bottom and one on the top -- carved. That should give you a starting point.

tootie0809 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 7

Okay, that's kind of what I was thinking too. I'm curious though on the supports for the columns, if I do them as wooden dowels and cover them in GP, would I put the rest of the dowel (the uncovered part) all the was down into the cake to the board for support? There are a ton of columns on this, so I was thinking if I actually doweled each one and inserted it into the bottom cake if that many holes in the cake would compromise the structure?

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 7

No, just cover the part that will be seen. Do you have Scott Woolley's book "Cakes by Design"? He has a tutorial on making columns in there.

Melina11 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:51am
post #6 of 7

There are three main sites where you can view Greek temples in Sicily; Selinunte, Segesta & Agrigento. Selinunte and Segesta have been reconstructed while much of temples at Agrigento are still standing from their original state. Agrigento and Selinunte are about 2 hours apart on the south coast of the island with Selinunte being in far Southwest and Agrigento located more towards center. Segesta located in northwest corner of Sicily about an hour from the capital, Palermo.

Athens Parthenon

FEIwannabe Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:28am
post #7 of 7

I'd consider making the columns decorative only.
-You can make a rectangular, low cake on the bottom (the base with the steps).
-Then make another rectangular tall cake, which is smaller than the base (that would be the solid, interior part of the temple).
-Then the 3rd tier would be the pediment/roof area which would be on a masonite board so you can cantelever it out. The masonite board would have to be covered in fondant underneath so you wouldn't see the board.
-Then you can make the columns non-supporting and just slip them in all around.
Of course, depending on size, each layer would have plenty of dowels/supports in the cake with intermediate horizontal cake boards as needed depending on size.
Make sense?

Quote by @%username% on %date%