Taller / Fluted Cupcake Pan?

Baking By kcassano Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 3:52pm by cookiemookie

kcassano Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 12

Okay, so the big question of the day is...where can I find a cupcake pan that makes the pretty tall, almost fluted-shaped cuppies? I love the shape of them..not short and squatty like a traditional cuppie. If any of you have taken notice of the ones in the Starbuck's bakery case, you might know what I'm talking about. So then the second question that comes to mind is...do you use normal liners or are there special ones? Anyone?

not the best pics, but maybe it'll help:


11 replies
brincess_b Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 12

i think you just want a muffin pan, and muffin liners. basically just deeper versions of the cupcake ones - pans do come in different sizes styles tho.

kcassano Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 12

who would've known...just though same pan was used for muffins as cuppies. thanks...would i still use regular cupcake liners with those? I'llhave to do a search. i

blessedist Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 12
kcassano Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 12

i bought the wilton king pan last night. it is the exact shape i was talking about, but it is HUGE. they are really big cupcakes. probably about twice the size as a normal one. usually it takes about 3 scoops (using my cookies scoop). this took like 6 -- plus i had a cookie in the middle which took up some space. i know there's gotta be a pan out there like I'm talking about.

brincess_b Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 12

you will also need to buy muffin liners.
im in the uk, so im not sure which suppliers to suggest you look at, but try everywhere! muffins are not a speciality thing really, so tins will be in the supermarket, kitchenware shops and department stores too.
the pan you go, could you try just filling it less?

blessedist Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 12

I've seen the liners for that pan in Party City

kricket Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 12

What about a popover pan?

sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 12

I have my mom's 30 year old muffin pans, up to professional ones I bought from a used restaurant supply store in my area. They differ a LOT on size, from the top width, bottom width, and depth. So much so, it's difficult to find cupcake papers that fit. Some are really flared towards the top, and others are straight up and down.

I think you want deeper cups in your pan (at least 2"), as my mom's standard sized pans are pretty shallow. HTH icon_smile.gif

kcassano Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:46am
post #10 of 12

I was totally thinking about a popoer pan. I'm just wondering what liners I would use? regular liners, with the cupcake just being much higher above the liner. why does this have to be so difficult? icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 12

I've made these before using my standard cupcake pan and large "kind sized cupcake liners" is what they were called. If you use the liners in a larger "muffin" pan you'll get a wider base (since the weight of the batter will spread out the liner to fit the pan)


cookiemookie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 12

My favorite size for cupcakes is what used to be called "Texas" sized.

Bigger than your standard, smaller than the new"King" sized.

Love that king sized pan, but absolute ly hate the liners they sell for it! They never fit quite right and fan out All The Time! I'm going to try the Texas sized liners in the king pan. Should give nice puffy tops.

Pfeil and Holing has all different size cupcake liners.

Now I wish someone would come out with a cupcake carrier to accomodate these different large cupcakes! I have a cupcake courier and love it but I really wish there was just an inch more space between each layer to accommodate nice icing swirls or when you use cupcake pics in them!

Vent over!

Quote by @%username% on %date%