How Much Of Indydebis' Bc Will I Need?

Decorating By pj22 Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm by pj22

pj22 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 7

I am planning to make three 12x18 cakes, cutting them in half to get six 12x9 cakes, and stacking them to make an aquarium cake.

How many batches of Indydebi's buttercream[url] http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing[/url] will I need to crumbcoat and cover the cakes?

Can I make the buttercream on Tuesday, leave it out and use it on Friday? Or refrigerate it?

Please help me figure this out! Thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know how much you'll need, one batch will fill and cover a 10" round or cover a 9x13 for me, but I do more fondant than plain buttercream, so I use a little less than average.

You don't have to refrigerate Indydebi's BC, but you can if you want to.

pj22 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:43am
post #3 of 7

Thanks! So I'll need quite a bit of it then!

btw, your daughter is super talented. I had a look at her blog and her jungle cake is fabulous!!

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:15am
post #4 of 7

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking, since your cake is going to be so tall, you might want to use a couple of dowels all the way through, besides the ones supporting the boards. I've found that things that are that tall are kind of tippy when you're trying to work on them...at least mine come out that way.

pj22 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:27am
post #5 of 7

Yeah.. I was thinking of the dowels too. I was a bit iffy about using them since I have never made tall cakes. Only flat 2 layer or 3 layer ones that are easy to handle!

Do you think plastic straws will work instead of dowels? I remember seeing somewhere that straws can be used instead of dowels.

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:36am
post #6 of 7

Some people use bubble tea straws because they're a lot bigger in diameter and more sturdy. I tried using regular straws once and it didn't go well.

I use Wilton's plastic dowels because they're super strong and easy to cut. You need a board and dowels for every 4" of cake, so you're talking about three boards and two sets of dowels...probably 4 dowels for each layer. Then get some wooden dowels and a new pencil sharpener, sharpen the end of the dowel like a pencil and then hammer it through all the tiers once they're stacked and make sure it goes down through the bottom board for stability.

pj22 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 7

So maybe the time has come for me to use the dowels!! LOL!!

I'll get them from Michaels or check in Walmart to see if they have any!

Thanks for the tips... really appreciate it icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%