Help, Petit Fours Becoming A Huge Disaster!

Decorating By princesscatt Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 9:28pm by princesscatt

princesscatt Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 7

Making red velvet petit fours for a fundraiser on Saturday. Attempted the Wilton poured fondant recipe and I'm not sure where it went wrong..don't know if my liquid was too cool or too hot but whatever it was they are looking a mess. I only did a few and stopped...right now the other cakes are in the freezer, maybe that will help me...Any tips??? Is there an easier recipe other then heating up the sugar?

As always
Thanks!

6 replies
prterrell Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 7

I've only attempted petit fours one time and they were a right mess. Things I learned for the next time I'm crazy enough to try them:

Freeze the cake solid
Take just a few out at a time to coat, leave the rest in the freezer
Keep the poured fondant in a bowl set over simmering water so that it stays nice and liquidy
Have a glass of wine at hand for my nerves! icon_biggrin.gif

Enchantedcakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 7

I only ever do them with pound cake, never a crumbly cake like red velvet can be at times. Just keep the cakes frozen and the pourned fondant very warm. I sometimes use ganache to cover mine, do you have any white chocolate and heavy cream?

leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 7

Honestly I can't imagine these being successful with red velvet cake.

princesscatt Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Honestly I can't imagine these being successful with red velvet cake.

Some did come out ok, it's just the glaze I could not get right.....any other suggestions I already have a sheet cake with filling and cut into squares in the freezer...guess I could just ice them..

princesscatt Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantedcakes

I only ever do them with pound cake, never a crumbly cake like red velvet can be at times. Just keep the cakes frozen and the pourned fondant very warm. I sometimes use ganache to cover mine, do you have any white chocolate and heavy cream?

No and we just got blasted with that East Coast blizzard so I will be lucky to make it to work tomorrow....I have them in the freezer now so I will try again tomorrow night, maybe 24 hours in the freezer will help...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%