Need Help With A Colette Peters Design

Decorating By mommy2owen Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 10:44pm by chefdot

mommy2owen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2owen Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone

My sister in law, has asked me to do this Colette Peters design for my niece's birthday this weekend....so much for getting any advanced notice icon_rolleyes.gif

I have Colette's book Cakes to Dream On with the directions in it, but I've loaned it out and can't reach the person.

I was wondering if anyone had a scanned copy of the directions or could help me with how to make the little birthday hat on top and how to make and attach the curls that are sticking out the sides of the cakes.

Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

7 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 8

I have that book and I'm not seeing this particular cake in it. I see a similar one called the "walk in cake" on page 34 but it has fondant candles on top, not a birthday hat. Could it be in a different book?

mommy2owen Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 8

Hmmmm.... icon_confused.gif That's strange. I only own two of her books....Cakes to Dream on and the birthday one. It's not in the birthday book so I was pretty sure I remembered it being in the other one. I think the name of it might have something to do with Dr. Seuss. The one you found, does it have the curls on the side?

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 8

Oh you're right, it IS the Dr. Seuss cake. Okay, now what did you want to know?

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

Let's see, I'm looking at your earlier post about the hat and the directions are quite lacking -- she says to carve the styrofoam hat and hot glue to a four inch round foamcore board. Carve the other wedge of stryofoam (?) and cover both of these with white fondant. She's not specific but I'm thinking the "other wedge of stryofoam" is what the hat sits on. I guess. icon_confused.gif

The gumpaste curls she says "make pastel colored gumpaste curls on wires and let dry at least two days." Sounds like she sticks the wires right into the cake.

Yeah, these directions are lacking bigtime. I have several of her books but I use them for inspiration, not technical how-to. If there's anything else, holler. icon_biggrin.gif

mommy2owen Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 8

You're right....it's not much to go on, but it does help. I didn't even think of styrofoam for the hat. Thank you so much! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 8

Well you'll figure it out. Necessity is the mother of invention! icon_lol.gif

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 8

good luck and can't wait to see it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%